You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Reaction to Bayern v Sporting Lisbon

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Reaction to Bayern v Sporting Lisbon

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:00 am

Bayern coach Felix Magath expressed delight at his team's fourth clean sheet in their fourth European fixture, but described the goalless draw with Sporting Lisbon as "our worst Champions League performance so far," singling out two enforced team changes as the probable cause: "We were a little unsettled and never got going."

<b>Reaction to Bayern v Sporting Lisbon:</b>

<b>Franz Beckenbauer:</b> "It was hard going today, and we looked disjointed too. In the second half, I reckon we decided to settle for a single point rather than nothing. It was a stalemate, and we have to be satisfied with the draw."

<b>Felix Magath:</b> "Obviously I'd rather have seen us take all three points, but we had too many problems. We definitely didn't have the deal starting line-up. I thought Sagnol would be able to compensate for losing van Bommel, but it didn't work in the first 45 minutes. We were a little unsettled by the team changes and never got going. That was definitely our worst Champions League performance so far, but we still had a few presentable chances in the second half. At the end of the day, we never reproduced our form from the previous matches. I'm pleased we've kept another clean sheet, we've still not conceded a goal, and that we're through to the next round. We're still in a very good position. We have the home game against Inter, and there's no reason we shouldn't win in Moscow."

<b>Oliver Kahn:</b> "It wasn't a great game by any means. It wasn't at all easy against the diminutive, mobile Portuguese. You'll always get games where nothing really works out. But if their shot hadn't hit the bar, it could have ended in a 1-0 defeat and we'd have been in trouble. We knew Sporting would give it their best shot, because they were aware Inter had won in Moscow. They ha nothing more to lose, and made life difficult for us."

<b>Daniel van Buyten:</b> "Another clean sheet is a good thing. We had the chances, but unfortunately we failed to score. It was a tough game, and definitely our poorest showing in the Champions League. We battled away, but it wouldn't come together for us. We're through to the next stage with ten points and no goals against, and we'll try and do better in our forthcoming matches. Now we need to focus on Schalke."

<b>Paulo Bento (Sporting coach):</b> "I think the draw was the right result. We knew it wouldn't be easy here, and we had a lot of trouble with Roy Makaay. We had a good first half, we got into good shooting positions, but we lacked the courage of our convictions. We didn't manage a goal, and I think we may not quite have believed in ourselves enough. Our passing was less good in the second half and Bayern improved, but there were chances at both ends. But we can still go through, it's still in our own hands, and we'll go to Milan looking for a win."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby diegis » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:01 pm

disappointing game, but its good we didn't lose
diegis
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Return to Official FC Bayern News