You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Reaction to Bayern v Internazionale

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Reaction to Bayern v Internazionale

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:20 pm

Despite Inter's last-gasp equaliser, the Bayern camp exuded satisfaction after the men in Red secured the draw they needed to top Group B. "We were always on top of the situation," coach Felix Magath observed, although he scolded his men for letting up at the death with the win apparently in the bag. Nevertheless, Patrick Vieira's strike changed nothing in the overall position, and Magath repeated his view that playing the second leg of a knockout tie at home was a major advantage.

<b>Reaction to Bayern v Internazionale</b>

<b>Karl-Heinz Rummenigge:</b> "We're proud to be the sole remaining German club in the Champions League, although obviously that's just not enough for our UEFA ranking. We're not among the favourites, I regard Barcelona as the best bet. But Real have a good team again, and you can never write off AC Milan. A little humility will no doubt do us good, but we're capable of upsetting a few teams, and you rise to the occasion against the big names."

<b>Felix Magath:</b> "We dictated the pace from the start, although we never intended to open up too much, as we knew a draw would be enough and we also knew Italian teams are extremely good at defending a lead. That's why we didn't play with as much bravado as you can do at home. It was important to avoid conceding a goal, we had a chance or two in the first half, and we were always on top of the situation. We were careless for a moment at the end, as we thought we'd got the game won, but in contrast to what happened last season against Juventus, the goal we let in was only for the record books. The advantage from finishing first is to play the second leg of the last sixteen tie at the Allianz Arena, and last season, seven of the eight group winners made the quarter-finals. There are no easy opponents anymore, looking at a list including Barcelona, Real Madrid and AS Rome. After winning our first three matches, we've drawn the next three, oddly enough, so I'm not totally surprised by tonight's result. There are no grounds for regarding our group stage performance in a negative light, as there were no guarantees we'd qualify so comfortably."

<b>Roy Makaay:</b> "Letting in a goal in the last minute was totally unnecessary, but no-one will be talking about it the day after tomorrow. We dominated the match the way we wanted to. We were lucky when Inter hit the bar in the first half, but we otherwise controlled the match. We showed great discipline, and we looked completely comfortable after taking the lead."

<b>Claudio Pizarro:</b> "Obviously we're angry, because we had the match under control, but we've conceded a silly goal in stoppage time. I think Roy's scored a very good goal, and we increasingly bossed the game as time went on. But what matters is winning the group. We tried to dominate the match from the start and let the ball do the work. Shame it wasn't quite enough for a win."

<b>Roberto Mancini (Inter coach):</b> "It was an evenly-matched contest between two teams both looking to win. There were very few chances at both ends, and I'm pleased for my players that it ended in a draw, as we fielded quite a few players who don't appear regularly. One or two of my players needed a rest, Stankovic and Cambiasso have sprains, and we didn't want to take any risks. Some of the others have simply earned the chance of competing in a big match. They've demonstrated that they could be very helpful to us in the next few games. So we're a little below strength and the next few matches might be fairly tough for us. But we're Inter, and we obviously want to make progress in all competitions. Naturally, winning the Champions League would be fantastic."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Miss Dangerous » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:21 am

Roberto Mancini (Inter coach): "But we're Inter, and we obviously want to make progress in all competitions. Naturally, winning the Champions League would be fantastic."

uh, it`s only in your dreams :o
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Mirage » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:50 pm

:P
Inter will not win the Champions League! And he shouldn't make excuses for the draw, Inter were still very much full-strength and Bayern got lots more chances and were better overall.
Mirage
I'm a chatterbox!

Return to Official FC Bayern News