You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Reaction to Alemannia Aachen v Bayern

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Reaction to Alemannia Aachen v Bayern

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:25 am

It was a case of second time unlucky for Bayern at the Tivoli stadium on Wednesday as the Reds were knocked out of the DFB German Cup by Alemannia Aachen for the second time in three years. Felix Magath viewed his side's 4-2 defeat as "a typical Cup tie" in which his men paid for early profligacy in front of goal: "We lost the game right at the start," the coach fumed. Uli Hoeneß was in no mood to dwell on the reverse: "So we've lost a match. I don't think it's all that bad."

<b>Reaction to Alemannia Aachen v Bayern</b>

<b>Uli Hoeneß:</b> "At the end of the day, Aachen deserved to win. We squandered some clear-cut chances in the first quarter of an hour, and we didn't keep going after bringing it back to 3-2. Obviously we were going to be vulnerable on the break, which is what happened for their fourth. So we've lost a match. I don't think it's all that bad."

<b>Felix Magath:</b> "We lost the game right at the start. We're out, because we failed to take three golden opportunities in the first ten minutes. We appeared to be well on top, but that was only in terms of chances and not goals. We had a false sense of security, we thought we had it under control, so we made mistakes and went behind. We've been knocked out and wecan't defend the trophy any more, but these things happen. We've lost to a battling Alemannia side. It was a typical Cup tie, a great game for the fans. My team played well in the second half, they were almost rewarded for a huge effort."

<b>Philipp Lahm:</b> "We failed to take our chances. We had three superb chances in the opening minutes, and one of those has to go in. We proved we're a real team in the second half. Our target was the final, but sadly it's not to be."

<b>Michael Frontzeck (Alemannia coach):</b> "Bayern started far better than we did and made some great chances. But we built on a solid defensive platform, and we scored every time we shot at goal. Let's not forget that Bayern were clearly on top in the first half. I have nothing but praise for my team, they fought till they dropped and the win isn't undeserved."

<b>Jan Schlaudraff (Aachen):</b> "Bayern had the chances in the first half. You'll never completely stop that much individual ability. We knew it would be a struggle in the second half. We did what we could to resist. I think it was obvious we were exhausted at the end. It was a cracking match."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News