You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Podolski closes in on Germany top ten

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Podolski closes in on Germany top ten

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 pm

Fun-loving Lukas Podolski is back in business, and looking for a place in the Germany all-time top ten goalscorers list in upcoming fixtures against Liechtenstein and Wales. "It's not been easy for me in recent months, but my confidence is back now. I'm doing everything I can to perform, score goals and help us make our way to the World Cup," the striker declared in Leipzig on Wednesday.

With 31 goals to his name in 60 internationals, Podolski is 13th in a list headed by the legendary Gerd Müller on 68 goals. Three goals against Liechtenstein and Wales would see the 23-year-old pass Klaus Fischer (32) and Fritz Walter (33), taking him to joint tenth with Ulf Kirsten (34).

Enjoyment essential

After a tricky spell blighted by injury and a minor role at Bayern behind Miroslav Klose and Luca Toni in the pecking order, Podolski is now finally fit again and enjoying his work. "It's always got to be fun when I go out onto the field," he acknowledged.

The easy-going player has benefited from injuries to both Toni and Klose, seizing his chance with both hands and responding with energetic displays and goals. Moreover, the conclusion of a deal returning him to his hometown club FC Köln at the end of the season appears to have lifted a huge mental burden from his shoulders. "It could well be I'm more relaxed, maybe even relieved, now that the decision has been taken," he recently told fcbayern.de.

Unceasing pressure

Germany boss Joachim Löw declined to call up the striker for the most recent friendly, a 1-0 defeat to Norway. "It was all agreed with the boss. It wasn't a problem," explained Podolski in Leipzig, where he appeared characteristically laid back during the midweek news conference. "Nice haircut!" he quipped as former FCB team-mate Marcell Jansen took to the podium.

In an echo of his current situation with Bayern, Podolski is highly likely to start Germany's meetings with Liechtenstein and Wales. However, he rejected the notion he was under extreme pressure to deliver: "I've been under pressure as a footballer since I was 18. You have to be able to cope, and cope I can."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News