You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Petersen: It's important to start scoring at once

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Petersen: It's important to start scoring at once

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Wednesday morning training had long come to an end, but Nils Petersen was still out on the practice ground, joining Anatoliy Tymoshchuk, David Alaba and Cüneyt Köz for an extra session of shooting practice. Jupp Heynckes and Uli Hoeneß leant on the perimeter fencing, deep in conversation, although the pair naturally kept a close eye on what the diverse group of players was doing.

The only individual singled out for special praise was assistant coach Peter Hermann, although even that was done more as a gag: Heynckes loudly and laughingly congratulated his number two on a string of precise crosses for Petersen and company. However, the head coach and the club president will not have failed to register the regularity with which new signing Petersen converted his chances, despite the best efforts of keeper Maximilian Riedmüller.

Value set to increase

"He's a young, alert, intelligent and hungry striker," Heynckes said when asked about the former Cottbus player, who finished top scorer in the German second division last season on 25 goals. The veteran coach is convinced the 22-year-old has a bright future: "In two years, he'll be worth a lot more - I won't say ten times as much, but a lot more." Heynckes should know what he's talking about, as the former world-class striker remains the third highest Bundesliga scorer of all time with 220 career goals.

Petersen only arrived in Munich some two weeks ago, but is already settling well into the squad. "He's a great lad," declared Mario Gomez, although the new arrival is well aware of the scale of the transition from the lower leagues to one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Boosted by good start

The settling-in process has undoubtedly been eased for the 6 ft 2 in goal-getter by his good performance in the two friendlies during the Lake Garda training camp, a 15-0 romp against a Trentino regional side, and a 4-2 victory over the Qatar national team, in which the striker scored a total of four goals. "The goals had no meaning for the club, but they were a big deal for me personally. Regardless of where I've arrived as a new player, it's always been important to start scoring straight away. It eases your nerves, and helps you settle into the team," Petersen was quoted as saying in a German regional newspaper.

As everyone knows, centre-forwards are inevitably judged on their goals, and Bayern have signed this promising centre-forward for his goals. "A player who's scored so many goals in the second division, and who's scored them the way he did, is also going to score in the top flight as a matter of course, especially in an attacking team," declared Heynckes, confident that Petersen will grow into an important role at FCB.

Calm and collected

However, the player is still young and will be given time to find his feet at his new club. "He's aware he won't be first choice to start with," Heynckes confirmed. Nils has no problem with that and is not putting himself under any pressure. "I have two outstanding guys, Mario Gomez and Ivica Olic, ahead of me. I can learn so much from both of them. The three-year contract means I have the opportunity to develop and mature here."

For all his modesty, the striker has confidently negotiated his start at Bayern. "I found training a challenge to begin with, because there's a different level of quality here," Petersen confessed. "It's not just that we're watched by large numbers of spectators, there are so many camera crews. And there are more coaches and members of staff, watching your every move. The players have to be focused the whole time and avoid making mistakes."

Going home

Nils would dearly love to hit the target again this Thursday when FCB play a friendly away to his hometown club Carl-Zeiss Jena. Furthermore, he is no longer in awe when the crosses and passes come from superstars such as Arjen Robben or Franck Ribéry. "The two weeks of pre-season with the big names have been really great. Now I'm looking forward to joining Bayern in my second home and meeting up with my friends."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Petersen: It's important to start scoring at once

Postby Aequitas1987 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:46 pm

He sounds really smart for his age as well, reminds me of Muller a little bit the way he is humble and intelligent with his answers. As long as he gets some substitute performances this season or as a 2nd striker in a 4-4-2 then I can see him growing into a starter in 2 seasons from now.
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Petersen: It's important to start scoring at once

Postby München Minded » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 pm

I really hope Petersen becomes a huge star for us, becoming an international star in the process. Hope the best.
der Kaiser:
“We should not fool ourselves. We are not one of the world's top teams any more”
“The defence has to get used to playing with the goalkeeper”
"They are all like prostitutes: they smoke, they're lazy, and they sleep all day"
München Minded
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News