You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

On-target Arjen fired up and ready for action

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

On-target Arjen fired up and ready for action

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Schweinsteiger? Van Buyten? Neither was in the matchday squad. Müller? Kroos? Mandzukic? Alaba? All four spent the game on the bench. Jupp Heynckes made no fewer than six changes to his team for Saturday's meeting with Werder Bremen. Arjen Robben, Mario Gomez, Jerome Boateng, Luiz Gustavo, Xherdan Shaqiri and Diego Contento came into the side - and Bayern cruised to a 6-1 victory. "Every player justified my faith in him," the head coach declared, with Dutch ace Robben and Germany hitman Gomez chief among them.

The pair were involved in five of Bayern's half-dozen goals. Robben scored the opener and provided the assists for two more, while Gomez helped himself to a brace and pressured Bremen defender Theodor Gebre Selassie into putting through his own goal. "When we do get to play, we try and go for it. And I think everyone who played today succeeded in that," Gomez said afterwards.

It was only the second time last season's top scorer has started a match since the mid-season break, but he is professional enough to accept the situation. "It is how it is. The team is doing sensationally well, so there's no compelling reason to change things around," he mused, "it's obviously difficult for those of us out of the team. But we do everything we can to ensure we remain successful as a club."

That also goes for Robben, who positively leapt out of bed on Sunday, as he revealed to FCB.tv: "It's always a good day after a 6-1 win. You're allowed to enjoy it for a bit, but not for too long, because we have a great game coming up," the Dutch ace commented, looking ahead to Wednesday's cup showdown with Dortmund.

Robben is clearly the lead candidate to stand in for Franck Ribéry, who is suspended. "I'm sad I can't play," the left-sided wizard said. "But I can also play on the left, although I don't know what the coach has in mind," Arjen responded on Sunday. "Losing Franck isn't good, but Arjen's in good form," commented Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, "he's in peak physical shape and he's scoring again. We need Arjen Robben in this form if we're to hit our targets this season."

Robben regards the Bremen rout as a perfect warm-up for Dortmund. "I didn't play any differently than normal. I go out there and do my job. It's just terrific being out on the pitch," said the 29-year-old, predicting "a fierce fight" on Wednesday. "The tiniest details will decide it. We'll give everything we have. We'll have to cover every blade of grass." There can be no doubt about it: Robben is ready to rock.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: On-target Arjen fired up and ready for action

Postby sch0ll7 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:34 am

FCBayernNews wrote:"We'll give everything we have. We'll have to cover every blade of grass."

Let's hope you do run and cover your side of the pitch:)
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: On-target Arjen fired up and ready for action

Postby MoFattal » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 am

Well, at least he knows that the only way to have a realistic claim at regaining a starting berth later on is to have a faultless display tonight. I think (hope) we'll see a totally motivated Robben tonight.
Kovac OUT!!!
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News