You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

New faces offer fresh options in attack

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

New faces offer fresh options in attack

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:15 pm

Summer signing Mark van Bommel, set to make his debut in a Red shirt against St Pauli in the DFB German Cup this Saturday, will be tasked with adding a new attacking dimension to the double winners' game, board director Uli Hoeneß has explained. "We had the feeling the hole behind the front two was fairly substantial, but Van Bommel can solve the problem. He can keep possession, play the final ball, he scores goals and he's good in the air," Hoeneß enthused.

<b>The finished article</b>

"We certainly need him," coach Felix Magath commented. "I'm delighted we've completed a fantastic transfer just before closing time. He's a great guy, a strong personality, and a complete midfielder." Magath is looking for the star signing to contribute both tactically and as an inspirational leader, although van Bommel would need time to settle, chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge warned: "He has all the ability, but he'll need a few games to establish himself."

The rest of the squad are enthusiastic about their new colleague. "We need someone like him, always supplying an attacking impulse. We've not had a player like that before," Roy Makaay told the <i>Münchner Merkur</i> newspaper. The striker even feels his fellow countryman can help the forwards more than predecessor Michael Ballack.

<b>Makaay seeks a supply</b>

"We'll get more opportunities. Mark's a great passer. And the forwards will have space in which to work. He gets forward in a different way to Ballack, who burst in between the front two when Sagnol or Lahm had the ball out on the flank," Makaay explained. "The whole team will notice a change in the way we play."

Van Bommel could be joined by another "new" face in the starting line-up, that of Lukas Podolski. The youngster has had to be content with a super-sub role up to now, but four goals for Germany against San Marino to follow the winning strike against Ireland suggest he has now run nicely into form.

<b>Confidence-booster</b>

"I'm returning to Bayern with plenty of belief," the player nicknamed Poldi declared after moving his career total onto 20 goals in 35 appearances for his country. "I'm feeling better and better, and obviously I'd like to be there from the start in the Cup. But that's something only the coach can decide."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby podolski4life » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:04 am

These surprises will keep other teams on their toes, that's for sure.
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News