You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Munich rue missed opportunity in Stuttgart

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Munich rue missed opportunity in Stuttgart

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:30 pm

After the 85th south German showdown between VfB Stuttgart and Bayern, the players, coaches and officials were unanimous in their analysis of the match. "Neither side deserved to win," as Bayern general manager Uli Hoeneß summarised after the goalless draw at the Mercedes-Benz Arena. "A draw in Stuttgart isn't a bad result by any means. We have to be satisfied," Hoeneß continued.

Bayern are undefeated in four in the league, but their fourth draw of the campaign ultimately rated as a minor setback in the quest to go top of the standings. None of FCB's rivals managed a win, so a chance to cut the four-point deficit to the leaders went begging. "A point away from home is basically OK, but we want first place, so we really needed all three points," reflected Philipp Lahm.

"We were up against a team with their backs to the wall," Hoeneß commented, but apart from a whirlwind opening ten minutes, crisis club VfB never seriously troubled the increasingly in-command visitors. Three days after a gala 4-0 away win in the cup against Eintracht Frankfurt, Louis van Gaal's side disappointed the travelling support in the 42,000 crowd with less than incisive play in the final third.

"We had more of the possession, but we didn't create many chances," commented Van Gaal, acknowledging that the home side were part of the reason for that. "It was much more difficult for us than in Frankfurt, because Stuttgart were much better organised and threw themselves at everything. I think the draw was the right result," the 58-year-old said.

"We didn't have many chances, but Stuttgart didn't create much after the first 15 minutes either. It's a fair result and we'll have to live with the point," agreed Mario Gomez after an "emotional" return to his former stamping ground. "I'd rather have come away with a win," the striker continued, lamented the two dropped points. "We could have taken a big step forward."

Such is the packed nature of the match schedule at this time of year, the FCB camp had little time to dwell on events in Stuttgart, as the focus immediately switches to Tuesday and a pivotal Champions League meeting at home to Girondins Bordeaux. "It's another must-win fixture. We have to win at home, and, with the crowd behind us, we want to show what we can do in the Champions League," advised Philipp Lahm.

In the Bundesliga, Hoeneß feels FCB are basically on course: "I think we'll be top before Christmas", the general manager declared. However, Europe is another matter. "I'll admit it - I'm a little nervous," he said prior to the meeting with French league leaders Bordeaux. "We're aiming high in the Champions League, so there are no excuses: we have to win on Tuesday."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News