You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Midfield conductor with an uncanny vision

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Midfield conductor with an uncanny vision

Postby FCBayernNews » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:00 am

For Bastian Schweinsteiger there was huge relief mixed with delight as he saluted with a clenched fist and joined his team-mates in celebrating Bayern's victory over arch-rivals Borussia Dortmund with the fans. But leaving the stadium half an hour later, the euphoria seemed to have lifted from the 97-times-capped Germany international - despite qualifying for the cup semi-final, despite the devastating performance Schweinsteiger himself produced in the seething cauldron that was the Allianz Arena on Wednesday evening.

"I was only able to have a good game because the team worked so hard," said the 28-year-old, reflecting on the evening's events with his characteristic modesty. Schweinsteiger, Bayern's vice-captain, knows the situation well. For all the praise coming his way, until the team have clinched the title, they have to concentrate on working to the maximum - starting on Sunday in Hoffenheim.

Nevertheless, against Dortmund and throughout the past few weeks Schweinsteiger has been producing football of the very highest level. "Bastian was the best player on the field," was the view of coach Jupp Heynckes after the cup quarter-final. It's a view reinforced by the statistics: Schweinsteiger had the most touches of the ball (95), set up the most goalscoring chances (4), won back possession most often (6) and directed 87 percent of his passes to a team-mate.

"Bastian is an incredible player, with an uncanny ability to read the game," said director of sport Matthias Sammer. Heynckes describes his midfield maestro as a great strategist who acts as conductor, setting the team's rhythm from midfield. It's just a couple of weeks since he commented that in the same way a film director works from a script, Schweinsteiger has his match plan.

On a par with Busquets

"Bastian reflects on football on a day-to-day basis," Heynckes says. "He thinks about attack and defence at the same time, and is a key reason that we concede so few goals." The coach compares his midfield dynamo with Barcelona's Sergio Busquets, who is also the focus and pivotal point of Spain's national team. "That's one fabulous player, and in my view Bastian shares with Busquets the status of the world's best midfielder."

Right now Schweinsteiger is very much living up to his boss's praise. In today's football you need to play intelligently and combine effectively in tight spaces, Heynckes says: "Bastian Schweinsteiger can do all that. That's what makes him priceless." In addition, this season the midfielder has already scored five times in the Bundesliga, plus twice in the Champions' League.

The midfield glue

Schweinsteiger is dependable in defence as well as in attack. "I try to link our game together and ensure we stay compact," is how the Bavarian native sees his role. "When the circumstances demand it, I push myself more forward. But my main responsibility is to ensure that we win." Right now he's fulfilling it to perfection.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Midfield conductor with an uncanny vision

Postby samaj » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:37 am

100% Bastian has been the brain of the team on the pitch. His Performance is beyond amazing, if he keep this up until the end of the season, and with trophies to back him up, he might have a huge change at ballon d'or or whatever they give for best player.
"My Heart Is Here.
My Heart Is Red." -Schweinsteiger
samaj
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News