You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Manuel Neuer named Player of the Year

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Manuel Neuer named Player of the Year

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer has come top of the annual poll run by respected journal kicker to determine the German Footballer of the Year. Neuer thus becomes the first goalkeeper since Oliver Kahn back in 2001 to top the survey, conducted among registered sports journalists. Second place also went to an FCB star, last term's leading scorer Mario Gomez.

"This is a huge honour," Neuer told kicker, insisting that the award had come entirely out of the blue. "When I was first told, I thought someone was pulling my leg. I'm totally shocked, especially because it's not every day a goalkeeper wins the award."

Outstanding performances

The 25-year-old won the journalists' approval for a string of outstanding displays in a Schalke shirt. "Despite their very average Bundesliga campaign, Schalke had an exceptionally successful season, and a lot of that was due to their captain Manuel Neuer," the magazine wrote.

The Germany goalkeeper made a significant contribution to his club winning the DFB Cup and reaching the Champions League semi-finals. "That has to be the best-ever performance against us by a goalkeeper," declared Sir Alex Ferguson following a gala display by Neuer against Manchester United in the semi-final first leg.

Successor to Robben

In its annual review of the season, kicker also awarded Neuer the status of world-class, with Arjen Robben the only other player in the Bundesliga deemed worthy of the description. Neuer succeeds his Bayern team-mate as Player of the Year. The FCB keeper earned a total of 210 votes, 20 more than Gomez, who scored 39 goals in 45 appearances in all competitions last term.

A total of 972 sports journalists participated in the vote, which has been organised by kicker since 1960. Publisher Rainer Holzschuh will present Neuer with the award at the Allianz Arena ahead of next Sunday's opening Bundesliga fixture of the season against Borussia Mönchengladbach.

2011 German Player of the Year award:
1. Manuel Neuer (210 votes)
2. Mario Gomez (190)
3. Nuri Sahin (Borussia Dortmund, 142)
4. Mario Götze (Borussia Dortmund, 101)
5. Mesut Ozil (Real Madrid, 86)
6. Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund, 43)
7. Raul (Schalke, 27)
8. André Schürrle (Mainz, 25)
9. Marco Reus (Borussia Mönchengladbach, 22)
10. Arjen Robben (18)
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Manuel Neuer named Player of the Year

Postby quaazi » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Why is Özil on that list?
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby MUTU » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Wow! Even more surprising than Neuer winning this is Gomez getting #2 and Sahin only in #3.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:01 pm

quaazi wrote:Why is Özil on that list?

I think it can be won by Germans and players plying their trade in Germany.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby quaazi » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:07 pm

That's a pretty random criteria, but whatevs.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby Element » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Sahin and Oezil lower than Gomez

All i can say is LMAO
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 am

=D> =D> =D> =D>
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby appudds » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Funny people.. lOl
appudds
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby München Minded » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Curious to note that the top 10 combined with just 1 more player could make a complete starting 11. I am sure if Real or Chelsea get wind of this list then they will look to strip mine -- although Real did get Sahin and Ozil, and they used to have Raul and Robben -- so hey, only a few more to go.
der Kaiser:
“We should not fool ourselves. We are not one of the world's top teams any more”
“The defence has to get used to playing with the goalkeeper”
"They are all like prostitutes: they smoke, they're lazy, and they sleep all day"
München Minded
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:19 pm

München Minded wrote:Curious to note that the top 10 combined with just 1 more player could make a complete starting 11

Uhhh I see 1 goalkeeper, 1 defender, 5 midfielders (all offensive) and 2 strikers. If one player is going to make a whole formation, it's going to be a weird one indeed :P I hope the coach would be LvG! :D
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby München Minded » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:23 pm

If the player added was a defender and you converted 2 midfielders into wing-backs, then yes it could work in LvG's world.
der Kaiser:
“We should not fool ourselves. We are not one of the world's top teams any more”
“The defence has to get used to playing with the goalkeeper”
"They are all like prostitutes: they smoke, they're lazy, and they sleep all day"
München Minded
I post all the time

Postby Element » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:25 pm

MUTU wrote:Uhhh I see 1 goalkeeper, 1 defender, 5 midfielders (all offensive) and 2 strikers. If one player is going to make a whole formation, it's going to be a weird one indeed I hope the coach would be LvG!

That Would be HEAVEN FOR LVG
Element

National Flag:
Jordan

Return to Official FC Bayern News