You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Mandzukic: Trophies beat the top scorer crown

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Mandzukic: Trophies beat the top scorer crown

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00 pm

After a rest day on Tuesday, it was obvious the stars were hungry for football on Wednesday. Jupp Heynckes had long headed for the showers, but almost all his players stayed out on the practice ground. Brazilian threesome Luiz Gustavo, Dante and Rafinha played keepy-up with four footballs simultaneously. Toni Kroos and Xherdan Shaqiri worked on free-kick routines. And Philipp Lahm, Thomas Müller and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg rained in shots from every conceivable angle at a goal tended for once by the club's top scorer, Mario Mandzukic.

Croatia's player of the year was one of the last men to leave the practice ground, meeting up with fcbayern.de half an hour later for an extensive interview. Mandzu assessed his performance so far this term, mulled over the importance of finishing as the league's leading scorer, previewed the forthcoming meetings with Düsseldorf and Arsenal, and reflected on another reunion with former club Wolfsburg, this time in the DFB Cup semi-finals.

Interview: Mario Mandzukic

fcbayern.de: Mario, you looked good in goal today. Should Manuel Neuer be worried?
Mario Mandzukic: It's just that I enjoy keeping goal occasionally. And you never know what might happen in a match. If we have a goalkeeping emergency, I'm definitely up got it.

Your real job is scoring rather than saving goals. Is it true that when you were a kid with TSF Ditzingen, you saw Fredi Bobic and Sean Dundee play?
It's true. My father played with them there before they became famous. I remember it well, because I was always there when my father took to the field.

Are you surprised at how well you've done at Bayern as a newcomer?
I'm not surprised at myself, but I'm aware I may have taken a few people by surprise, especially those who were sceptical at first. I'm delighted if I've been able to change their minds.

You seem completely unflappable, unaffected by criticism, the battle for places, and transfer rumours...
That's the way I am. I stay relaxed, I concentrate on my job, and I refuse to be negatively influenced by anything. I believe in myself, which doesn't mean I think I'm the best. I just know I can succeed in everything I take on. And that keeps me calm.

You're up to 15 goals in the Bundesliga and are on course to finish top scorer in your first season with FCB. How much does that matter to you?
If that's what happens I'd be delighted, but I'm not thinking about it at all. I'm concentrating on my job, which is to fight for the team. I wouldn't mind not finishing top scorer, because I'd rather win trophies with the team.

Speaking of fighting for the team, how do you feel about being a hard-tackling centre forward?
I regard the stadium as a modern gladiatorial arena. I go out there to battle away, never shirk a challenge and obviously end up winning if possible.

When you arrived in Munich last summer, you said it could make you a better player. Has that happened?
I think so. I've learned a great deal, especially in terms of tactics, which is something the coach has relayed to me. But my attitude is never to be satisfied, because you can always improve.

You face Düsseldorf on Saturday. What kind of game do you expect?
We respect Düsseldorf. They need points, and every team always gives everything against Bayern. But we're ready for them. We're at home and want to maintain our winning run, preferably with another clean sheet. It's also an important match with regard to next Wednesday.

That's when Arsenal visit the Allianz Arena. At 3-1 up from the first leg, you're in a very good position. How are you approaching the return?
A lot of people think we're already through to the next round, but anything can happen in football. Provided we play the way we did in London we need have no worries. But if we concede an early goal, it could be dangerous.

You scored your maiden Champions League goal at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium. Was that special for you?
I'm obviously delighted about the goal, partly because it was an odd one. The press were saying I lacked a goal in the Champions League, but I never let it get to me. The only thing that ever matters to me is winning.

You face your former club Wolfsburg in the DFB Cup semi-finals. Were you pleased with the draw?
I wouldn't say I was delighted, because it's what I wanted for the final. It'll be difficult for Wolfsburg to make the final now, because it's where we desperately want to be.

Have you spoken to anyone at Wolfsburg since the draw?
I'm in touch with my former team-mates regularly, and we exchanged texts after the draw. They're not very happy about facing Bayern.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Mandzukic: Trophies beat the top scorer crown

Postby AssemFCB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Winning mentality, anyone?
AssemFCB
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Egypt

Re: Mandzukic: Trophies beat the top scorer crown

Postby MoFattal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 pm

This guy is full of confidence on and off the pitch. Exactly the stuff we need in our players.
Kovac OUT!!!
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News