You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Makaay: Retaining the title would be a miracle

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Makaay: Retaining the title would be a miracle

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:10 pm

Roy Makaay tops the goalscoring chart at Bayern this term with 12 goals in the Bundesliga, and an unforgettable opener after just 10 seconds of the Champions League Round of 16 return against Real Madrid. That record-breaking strike was the Dutchman's 99th goal in a competitive fixture since his arrival at the club three and a half years ago.

<b>fcbayern.de</b> sat down with the 32-year-old to discuss his imminent century of goals, and to preview the next few weeks in the Bundesliga and the Champions League. "Yet again, we face a series of make-or-break matches," the goal-getter reflected.

<b>Interview: Roy Makaay</b>

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> by Roy, you're accustomed to training with a small squad during breaks for internationals, but the situation has been extreme this week.

<b><i>Roy Makaay:</i></b> "It was basically OK at the start of the week when we had at least 10 of us. But Friday was the ultimate when we had just three outfield players. We still tried to make the best of the situation, and I think it went well."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> But it can't be particularly enjoyable.

<b><i>Makaay:</i></b> "Obviously it's not easy with just three of you, but we put in plenty of good work before then and got one or two things done in training. Basically we've been very focused and sometimes very intense over the last few days. I think we can say we've earned a weekend off."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Bayern have only taken one point from their last two league fixtures. Be honest: do you still believe you can win the league?

<b><i>Makaay:</i></b> "We're nine points behind Schalke and there are only eight games left, so we'll need a miracle. I don't think anyone's ever succeeded in closing a gap that large, and it's not like we only have one rival ahead of us, it's three."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> It would have been very different if it hadn't been for a disappointing draw against Bremen two weeks ago.

<b><i>Makaay:</i></b> "Bremen was definitely a turning point. Thinking about the chances we had, we could have won 5-0, but Bremen scored with their only shot. We should definitely have had a penalty in Frankfurt, they could even have had a man sent off, and we'd have been 1-0 up with a man more after a quarter of an hour. It would have been a totally different game. And then we were hit by a wonder goal at the end. In my opinion, we should focus totally on finishing at least third."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> That makes next Saturday's meeting with Schalke a must-win fixture.

<b><i>Makaay:</i></b> "Very much so. We have to beat Schalke to give us impetus and belief for the game in Milan three days later. Then we're off to Hanover, we have the return at home to Milan, and then we take on Leverkusen in Munich. Yet again, we face a series of make-or-break matches. After that we'll know where we're going this season."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> After last season's heavy defeat, Milan must be considered a very tough draw.

<b><i>Makaay:</i></b> "Well, we have a score to settle with them. We played well enough at home but they were awarded a dubious penalty. And despite the fact we lost 4-1 in the return, I have to say we weren't complete rubbish at their place. But you're just making life difficult for yourself when you make individual errors and gift them three or four goals. I think we've learned a lot from last season's clash, and we know what to expect. And this time, we have one huge advantage, which is playing the return at the Allianz Arena. The Real Madrid match showed how important that is."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> That would be an excellent occasion for you to pass 100 goals for Bayern.

<b><i>Makaay:</i></b> "I wouldn't mind if it happened against Schalke. I believe I would be only the 7th or 8th Bayern player to pass 100 goals. But naturally, it's much more important we succeed as a team and perform in the next few matches."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> What do you think Bayern will ultimately achieve this season?

<b><i>Makaay:</i></b> "I'm convinced we'll finish at least third. And obviously we have plenty to aim at in the Champions League. Playing in the Champions League final would be a dream come true for me personally, but lets wait and see what happens against Milan."

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> The very best of luck Roy, and thanks for talking to us!
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News