You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Magath's review: 'Apart from the Cup, I'm comple

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Magath's review: 'Apart from the Cup, I'm comple

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:15 pm

German football has shut up shop for the Christmas holiday and winter break, but before Felix Magath set off on a well-deserved vacation, the Bayern head coach sat down with <b>FCB.tv</b> for an extensive year-end interview. The 53-year-old drew broadly positive conclusions from developments in 2006, and looked forward confidently to the New Year. <b>fcbayern.de</b> summarises Magath's key statements.

<b>Felix Magath on…</b>

<b>…the midweek German Cup exit:</b>
"I'm really still rather perplexed. We weren't knocked out because we played badly or below our potential, it was a fantastic, typical Cup performance. The team took it to the limit in the second half, and there haven't been many games so far this season where we've had that many clear-cut openings. I think the tabloids were totally wrong to call it a dismal display. A neutral watching the match would have loved every minute. The fact is that Alemannia Aachen are a fully—fledged Bundesliga club, and it's hardly unknown for a top flight club to knock the holders out of the Cup."

<b>…the Champions League campaign:</b>
"We're extremely satisfied with our performance in the Champions League group stage. In fact, we can reasonably classify the last match against Inter Milan as a victory, as we only conceded the equaliser in stoppage time. We were in complete control otherwise. So we finished with three wins and three draws, and most importantly, we went through to the next round as group winners, meaning that although we've drawn the ultimate challenge in the shape of Real Madrid, we enjoy the advantage of playing the return here at the Allianz Arena, and I'm extremely confident that this advantage will be enough for us to knock Real out of the competition."

<b>…meeting Real Madrid in the first knockout round:</b>
It's a tough draw, but also a fantastic draw, because we won't necessarily have the advantage of playing the second leg at home in the quarter-finals. But it's an advantage we do have now, so I'd rather play tough opponents in this tie. Here at Bayern Munich, we're not in the business of hoping to be drawn against a so-called weaker team such as OSC Lille for example, getting into the quarters and then being knocked out."

<b>…the first half of the Bundesliga campaign:</b>
"I'd say our form steadily improved. We were good in our last match in Mainz, the 4-0 scoreline was our best result so far this season, and I think you could see something good starting to come together. We've come on in a positive sense. After mid-season training in January, I'm confident we'll pick up where we've just left off, we'll play more fluent football and create more chances, and we'll convert more of those chances into goals. Overall, we've been very poor at taking our clear-cut chances in the first half of the season, or at least a lot worse than in previous years, and it's cost us a few points."

<b>…mid-season training:</b>
"Our troubled pre-season period, coupled with the extra burden of the World Cup in July, definitely caused all the significant problems we've had up to now, in my opinion. Now, we'll spend a full three-week period with all the players together at last, so we can try a few things out. I'm convinced we'll hit on a formation that plays a great deal better than we have so far."

<b>…his summary of the season so far:</b>
"Putting the Cup to one side, I'd say I'm completely satisfied. Despite a difficult first half of the campaign we're only three points off Bremen in the league, and we won our Champions League group without losing a game. That's a strong record, and leaves us extremely well-placed for the second half of the season."

<i>To watch our exclusive interview with Felix Magath in full, why not <a href="/en/news/news/2006/09756.php?fcb_sid=717970e6d68041b2c874c996b291f95d" target="_top" class="content_link">sign up now</a> for our exciting premium channel <b>FCB.tv</b>?</i>
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News