You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Lahm: ‘Pre-season counts for nothing now’

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Lahm: ‘Pre-season counts for nothing now’

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:45 pm

Philipp Lahm emerged from the dressing room on Thursday lunchtime with a radio-controlled model helicopter under his arm, a tableau with symbolic character for the man desperate to hit the heights with Bayern this term. “We want to prove we belong right at the top again from the very beginning,” Lahm declared on the eve of Munich’s Bundesliga opener against Hansa Rostock.

The Germany international is convinced Bayern can improve on last season’s disappointing outcome. “We have a lot more quality in the squad,” he remarked, noting that the eight new signings had all settled remarkably quickly at the club. “They’ve all been totally open with the established players, which has made it a lot easier for everyone.“

<b>Interview: Philipp Lahm</b>

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Philipp, how do you feel ahead of the league restart on Saturday?
<b><i>Lahm:</i></b> “After such a long pre-season, you’re just delighted when it starts again for real. The mood in the dressing room is excellent. We’ve prepared very well, but pre-season counts for nothing any more. All that matters is how we do on Saturday. We want to prove we belong right at the top again from the very beginning. We intend to make a start against Rostock.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> What lessons have been drawn from the Cup tie in Burghausen?
<b><i>Lahm:</i></b> “We didn’t play badly, but we’ve got to put away our chances, even against the so-called weaker teams. We had a lot of trouble scoring goals against defensively-minded teams last season. That has to improve: we need early goals, so we can relax and play football.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> How do you rate Hansa Rostock?
<b><i>Lahm:</i></b> “I’m sure they’ll start defensively, but we have to focus on ourselves and play our game. We need to attack at pace, which is definitely a strength of ours.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Have we seen the last of the defensive problems which characterised last season?
<b><i>Lahm:</i></b> “I believe we’re getting there. In the last few matches, and especially in the League Cup, we allowed our opponents very few chances and twice kept a clean sheet. But it’s not just the back four, the team has to defend as a unit. We’ve worked hard on that in pre-season, and it’s definitely better than last year.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> You’ve switched from right to left-back. Is that a big change for you?
<b><i>Lahm:</i></b> “Of course – it’s the other side, isn’t it? There’s a lot of difference in the details. But the switch doesn’t bother me, I’ve often enough played on the right for Germany.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> Marcell Jansen, your fellow Germany full-back, is now filling the same role for Bayern.
<b><i>Lahm:</i></b> “That’s the case for now, because of Willy Sagnol’s injury. We’ll have to see how it is in a couple of weeks time. We’ll all have to deliver the goods, but as long as we’re still in three competitions, a rest won’t do anyone any harm.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> What’s your impression of the new arrivals as people?
<b><i>Lahm:</i></b> “Very positive! It’s amazing how quickly they’ve settled down. They’ve all been totally open with the established players, which has made it a lot easier for everyone.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> What has Ottmar Hitzfeld changed since you came back for the new campaign?
<b><i>Lahm:</i></b> “He appeared in mid-season last term, so you can’t make the comparison, and we have a totally different squad now. Training is fantastic, it’s a high-tempo affair again. That’s something we missed last season. We simply have more quality in the squad.“

<b>fcbayern.de:</b> So you’re probably enjoying it more too...
<b><i>Lahm:</i></b> “Success always makes it more fun. Our pre-season was good, so it’s highly enjoyable at Bayern right now. But it won’t be truly enjoyable until we can say it’s been a successful season.“
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News