You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Kahn: 'That wasn't the real Bayern Munich'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Kahn: 'That wasn't the real Bayern Munich'

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:00 pm

Saturday's defeat in Stuttgart leaves Bayern's chances of competing in next season's Champions League hanging by a thread, as the Reds are five points off the Swabians in third and seven behind Bremen in second with just four games remaining. "What took the field today wasn't a team," captain Oliver Kahn bluntly told reporters after the match.

<b>Question:</b> Oliver Kahn, how disappointed are you at losing to VfB Stuttgart?

<b><i>Oliver Kahn:</b></i> "If we'd played brilliantly and lost because VfB were even better, I wouldn't say anything. That's normality in football. But after a display like that? I have to admit I just don't understand it. We have to accept it wasn't good enough to qualify for the Champions League."

<b>Question:</b> What do you think of the way your team played?

<b><i>Oliver Kahn:</i></b> "It was fatal, especially in the first half. I can't recall a performance as bad as that in such an important match with so much at stake. After going a goal down, we made the same mistake we made against Milan. We let our heads go down and immediately conceded a second. The game was over at that point. Obviously, that wasn't the real Bayern Munich football club. There's nothing, and I mean nothing, we can regard as a positive from today's match."

<b>Question:</b> Bayern's strengths over the years have included approaching crunch games like this in peak form, and the ability to overturn a deficit. Why didn't it happen today?

<b><i>Oliver Kahn:</i></b> "I don't know, I can't say. I simply can't explain the first half. We bottled almost all the tackles, and VfB had four gilt-edged chances in the space of 20 minutes. In the circumstances, it was going to be tough taking even a point from the game."

<b>Question:</b> Was there too much pressure?

<b><i>Oliver Kahn:</i></b> "Too much pressure? That's normal at Bayern Munich. You've got to be able to cope with pressure if you play for this club. Maybe it was negative pressure for some of us. Maybe it's different when you're competing for first place compared to third place. Maybe one or two of us are having trouble coping. I just don't know."

<b>Question:</b> What can you do about it as captain?

<b><i>Oliver Kahn:</i></b> "I can try and get involved, and that's what I've done, but it's tough getting through to the players right now. Everyone's exclusively concerned with himself. What took the field today wasn't a team."

<b>Question:</b> How much prestige have you lost today?

<b><i>Oliver Kahn:</i></b> "We've not lost anything yet. What's happened is that we're in danger of missing out on a Champions League place."

<b>Question:</b> What do you think of the possibility of playing your last season in the UEFA Cup?

<b><i>Oliver Kahn:</i></b> "I'm a professional, and Bayern Munich has hired me as their goalkeeper until 30 June 2008. I've played for the club for 13 years, and it will be 14 next year. I'm no cherry picker, I'm not the sort who only plays for a club when things are going well. I'll do what needs to be done, but in the event we don't qualify [for the Champions League], I won't quit, that's total rubbish. We've won so many trophies in the past, it's not going so well right now, but I'm not about to run away, that's not the man I am."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News