You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Kahn: I'll be driver of rebuilding process

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Kahn: I'll be driver of rebuilding process

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 pm

Coach Ottmar Hitzfeld announced "a major rebuilding programme" following Bayern's defeat to VfB Stuttgart last weekend, with "six, seven or even eight new players, so half a team. It will be a major shake-up," the General declared.

The process of renewal will be carried out regardless of whether Bayern manage a place in the Champions League, or as seems more likely, compete in the Uefa Cup next term. And also regardless of which European competition the Reds enter, Oliver Kahn will be part of the new start in Munich even as he completes what will probably be his last season as a player.

<b>Captain staying on board</b>

"I'm not the kind to cherry-pick, and only give my all for the club when things are going well," Kahn remarked after the final whistle in Stuttgart, categorically ruling out an early termination to his contract - the keeper's current deal runs until June 2008 - in the event Bayern fail to qualify for Europe's elite competition. "I'm not suddenly going to jump overboard. That's total rubbish, and it's not my style."

Addressing a news conference on Friday, Kahn described Saturday's meeting with Hamburg as "probably our very last chance of finishing the season in third place," but also underscored his intention to throw his full weight behind the planned new start. "My job next season will once again be to use my position as captain and leader to drive the rebuilding forward, and restore success to the club."

<b>No guarantee of success</b>

Kahn cited his "excellent channels of communication" to club officials and "detailed knowledge of my job." A process of change was "nothing unusual at Bayern. You always see fluctuations. Players come and players go."

"The team will definitely look a lot different next season, but even that's no guarantee we'll immediately return to the glory trail," the skipper warned. The exact nature of the new-look side "is exclusively for the board to decide," he continued, "I have nothing to do with that side of things."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News