You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Kahn: 'I honestly feel much younger than I am'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Kahn: 'I honestly feel much younger than I am'

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:40 pm

Bayern captain Oliver Kahn has taken part in a live video chat hosted by premium channel <b>FCB.tv</b>, attracting more than 500 questions from fascinated fans as thousands tuned in to hear the world-renowned keeper's views. Lack of time and the overwhelming response meant the 37-year-old could only answer a fraction of the queries, but <b>fcbayern.de</b> has picked out the highlights of the chat session.

<b>Oliver Kahn on...</b>

<b>...how he dealt with demotion to number two keeper for Germany at the World Cup:</b> "It was a heavy blow for me as a sportsman in the first instant, but after that I had two possibilities, either to pull out in frustration and act like I'd been insulted, or to make the best of a difficult situation. I chose the second option, and tried to do what I could for the team, so that our 2006 World Cup campaign would be as successful as possible. I think that's better than shutting yourself away in disgust and frustration. That's not my style."

<b>...Bayern repeatedly going a goal down in recent matches:</b> "It's not just bad news for our fans, it's always very, very difficult for me personally. We're not at our best yet, we're not able to dominate a match for the full 90 minutes. We need time to settle and find our rhythm. But dressing room morale is high. It doesn't matter provided we keep mounting comebacks, but we won't always manage."

<b>...Bayern's title rivals:</b> "I think Bremen are a strong team, very solid and very consistent. That doesn't mean I don't believe Schalke can stay up there at the top right until the end. But I think Bremen are a shade more stable and consistent."

<b>...Bayern's chances of going top of the league before the winter break:</b> "I'm convinced we can do it, but you'd expect nothing else. It has to be our goal at Bayern. We're on a roll now, we've won three in a row, and I think we can ride this positive wave."

<b>...Bayern's chances of finishing Champions League Group B in top spot:</b> "We can't be totally certain, as we have yet another very, very tough match against Inter Milan. Everyone knows we've always had huge problems against Italian teams. But we've been very convincing at home, and that's why I believe we can secure a very, very important draw."

<b>...the possibility of winning the Champions League:</b> "Bayern always have a very good chance of winning the Champions League. We've been very impressive in the Champions League this season. I do believe we have a chance, either this season or the next."

<b>...how long he intends to keep playing:</b> "Neither my brain nor my body is telling me I'm 37 years old. I honestly feel much, much younger than I am. Fundamentally, I could keep going for a couple of years after 2008, but I probably won't do that. Everything has to come to an end at some point. But you should never make definitive, final statements about anything in football."

<b>...his plans after finishing his career:</b> "At the moment I'm still too immersed in playing. I'm not thinking about what happens afterwards. And I believe it can sometimes be an advantage not to overdo the planning. I'm going to wait and see what comes my way."

<b>...a potential career in coaching:</b> "Basically, that's not something I'm really thinking about. Goalkeepers always have trouble gaining acceptance as a coach. I believe I could do it, but I don't think it'll be the course I follow."

<b>...the European Player of the Year accolade going to Fabio Cannavaro:</b> "I think it's great, to be honest, as it's always tended to be strikers or midfielders. I was incredibly impressed with him, I've rareky seen such a consistent performer in defence. He's been world-class and the award is totally deserved!"

<b>...the promotion push mounted by his former club Karlsruhe:</b> "Obviously I'm following them very closely, it's the club where it all started for me. I hope they go up, I know coach Ede Becker extremely well. I'd be delighted if they end up being promoted."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News