You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Kahn eyes ‘as many trophies as possible’

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Kahn eyes ‘as many trophies as possible’

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:35 pm

Professional players wind down their active careers in a number of ways. Mehmet Scholl was thrilled at every moment he spent on the pitch last season in a handful of substitute appearances, while Thomas Linke has elected to spend his final couple of years adding a touch of experience to the Bayern reserves. However, Oliver Kahn is desperate to bow out with yet more winners’ medals for his already extensive collection.

“I want to win as many trophies as possible,” the keeper declared on the day before embarking on his 21st and last Bundesliga campaign. “I want to say farewell on the most positive note possible,” the 38-year-old explained, delighted at the club’s decision to bolster their role as favourites with a summer spending spree. “I’m looking at a team made up of outstanding players, with an optimal pre-season behind us,” he commented.

<b>’There’s always pressure’</b>

However, Kahn dismissed the widespread notion that Bayern are a shoo-in for the league title. “I don’t agree with all this ballyhoo. We haven’t even played a match yet. A lot of the reporting is totally unrealistic,” he warned, dampening expectations of the new-look Reds side. The team would not be affected by the hype, the captain insisted: “We’re smart enough to keep it in perspective.”

The pressure to succeed was no greater than in previous years, the keeper felt. “It’s the same level of pressure you always get at Bayern Munich,” he remarked, conceding that the club’s spectacular transfers would only make other teams more determined. “Our opponents will lay down their lives to beat Bayern Munich, every team will play above themselves. That’s what makes it so tough.”

<b>Matching Augenthaler</b>

The 38-year-old is set for his 404th top flight appearance for Bayern on Saturday, taking him level with the great Klaus Augenthaler in fourth on the club’s all-time roll of honour. He could even end up taking second place from Gerd Müller (427).

“But I don’t think it would be right to approach this season as if it were any different,“ Kahn mused. His career record in 13 seasons with Munich suggest he knows what he is talking about, after seven Bundesliga titles, four DFB Cup triumphs, and glory in the Champions League and World Club Cup. “I’ve seen and been through it all. I’ve been doing this job for 20 years, but this is my last season for sure. There comes a time when you’ve had enough.“

<b>One milestone missing</b>

Kahn (531 top flight appearances in total) is all but certain to overtake Eike Immel (534) and register the most Bundesliga appearances by a goalkeeper, but in all his long career, he has yet to score a goal. Back in March 2001, he did hammer the ball into his opponents’ net – albeit with his fists. “To this day, I haven’t a clue why it was disallowed,” he deadpanned. The opposing team that day was Hansa Rostock, the very club against whom Kahn’s final season begins on Saturday.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News