You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Inside: Owen comeback on hold for two weeks

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Inside: Owen comeback on hold for two weeks

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:30 pm

England international Owen Hargreaves has been forced to postpone a return to competitive action for a little while longer after suffering a setback in his recovery from a fractured calf sustained against Arminia Bielefeld earlier this season. The versatile midfielder returned to the training ground last week, but has now been ordered to take a two-week break to allow the broken bone to heal completely.

<b>Podolski Bayern's best in Euro poll</b>
Summer signing Lukas Podolski was the best-placed Bayern star in the annual journalists' vote for the European Player of the Year accolade, finishing 17th in the poll organised by weekly magazine <i>France Football</i>. The award went to World Cup-winning Italy captain Fabio Cannavarro on 173 points, ahead of fellow-countryman Giuanluigi Buffon (124) and France striker Thierry Henry (121). Podolski garnered three points, with Philipp Lahm placed 25th on a single point. It was a case of 'nul points' for Bastian Schweinsteiger and former Red Michael Ballack.

<b>Roy races onto 70 goals</b>
Striker Roy Makaay extended his prolific goalscoring record with the opener in last Saturday's 2-1 win in Hamburg, taking his total to 70 goals in 109 Bundesliga appearances for Munich. The Dutch ace boasts an exceptional record in terms of total scorer points, as he has also provided 27 assists in his time at the club.

<b>Ex-Red Oblak ousted in Slovenia</b>
Former Bayern professional Branko Oblak has been dismissed as Slovenia coach after two-and-a-half years in the job. The 59-year-old, who made 71 Bundesliga appearances and scored five goals for the Bavarians between 1977 and 1980, took the Slovenia hot seat in 2004 but failed to guide his men to the 2006 World Cup finals. Local media reports have named Darko Milanic, assistant coach at Austrian top flight contenders Sturm Graz, as the most likely man to succeed the axed ex-Red.

<b>Partner club Red Diamonds poised for glory</b>
Urawa Red Diamonds, Bayern's Japanese partner club, are poised to claim the J-League crown on the final day of the domestic season. The team coached by Germany World Cup winner Guido Buchwald played out a goalless draw away to FC Tokyo last weekend and go into the final round of matches three points clear of defending champions Gamba Osaka, who visit Urawa in a classic last-day showdown. "Obviously we'd rather have wrapped up the title today," Buchwald commented, "but it's set up a genuine final at our Saitama stadium, and I'm already looking forward to it." Osaka would have to defeat the Red Diamonds by three clear goals to wrest the trophy from their grasp.

<b>Görlitz spreads cheer for sick kids</b>
Bayern starlet Andreas Görlitz has taken time away from the busy life of a professional footballer to join leading figures from the world of entertainment and showbiz in a "Day of Laughter" for a good cause. Andi dropped by the Children's Hospital in the Munich suburb of Schwabing to help kids receiving in-patient treatment forget their troubles and the rigours of daily life in a hospital, for a short time at least. The regular "Days of Laughter" are also designed to spread smiles and joie de vivre among relatives and hospital staff.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:56 pm

A few comments before I disappear from the board for a while.

1) The news about Owen was not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping to hear something to the effect about how he was getting better with each passing day.

2) Cannavaro did not deserve that award. I do believe that he got it because of the World Cup and not how he played for a whole year.

3) It's nice to see Podolski get some recognition.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby podolski4life » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:42 pm

Henry really should have gotten the Ballon d'or.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Runty » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:15 am

Gutted, that's bad news about Owen, I'm sure he's feeling frustrated at the set-back. Better that he lets it heal completely then injure himself again I suppose.
Runty
Getting the hang of it

Return to Official FC Bayern News