You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Injuries prompt Deisler to quit the game

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Injuries prompt Deisler to quit the game

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:30 pm

Injury-plagued Bayern and Germany midfielder Sebastian Deisler has announced his immediate retirement from professional football. The 27-year-old informed Munich general manager Uli Hoeneß of his decision on Monday evening, before going public with the news the following day.

"It's not a decision I've come to overnight. I've taken my time over it," Deisler told a news conference at Bayern's Säbener Strasse headquarters on Tuesday lunchtime, revealing he had considered calling time on his career after his last major injury, a lacerated knee cartilage. "I had to push myself hard to get back up to speed."

The injury cleared up and Deisler made a successful Bundesliga comeback last autumn, "but I no longer have real faith in my knee's ability to cope with professional football," the player explained. "I'm not playing with the enjoyment you need any more. I don't want to do anything by halves. That doesn't help anyone," Deisler continued.

Hoeneß expressed deep regret at the player's chosen course of action. "For me, the decision is incomprehensible. We've done everything we could, and we regret this decision enormously," the board director declared. Deisler's contract, which runs until 30 June 2009, will not be dissolved but will instead be "suspended", Hoeneß announced. Should Deisler ever feel capable of playing at the highest level again, "he can take up this option at any time and come back to us."

<b>More on this story follows shortly…</b>
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Schweini_rules » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:35 pm

oh man ...bad news.
FC BAYERN MUNCHEN

- "I had hoped until the end that this was just a nightmare, because Deisler is one of the best players Germany has ever had." -
Hoeness
Schweini_rules
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Paddy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:32 pm

If they don´t buy replacments quickly it could mean a disaster....
Paddy
I post all the time

Postby SNAKE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:38 pm

True, but dont expect stars, only "promising" cheap players like Dos Santos.

SNAKE
SNAKE
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Tribute to the man with the greatest right foot in Germany

Postby Schweini_rules » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:09 pm

a tribute to the man with the greatest right foot in germany at the moment.
Hope he gets back , and yes it was stupid of me to say ribery or totti or whatever ..sebastian went through a lot in his life and still he managed to make a come back .
Au revoir mon ami.
FC BAYERN MUNCHEN

- "I had hoped until the end that this was just a nightmare, because Deisler is one of the best players Germany has ever had." -
Hoeness
Schweini_rules
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Schweini_rules » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:21 pm

Deisler out :cry: , karimi out ,scholl out, sali out who are for sure going to leave the club and with the further exit of santa cruz, pizarro. What are we going to do ..uhh :
FC BAYERN MUNCHEN

Hoeness
Schweini_rules
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Mirage » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:55 pm

This is awful news, I can't believe it. We need to bring someone in - this january for cryin out loud.
@ Schweini_rules, I like your signature. its so sad. The decision must've been really hard for Deisler.
Mirage
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby kevh26 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:09 pm

it's almost made me give up any hope of CL glory in the next couple of seasons, at least with Deisler there, even unfit, you could always think, there's a player who can turn a game on it's head when he's fit, there's a player who can pull something out of nothing... Schweinsteigers got to really step up his game for us to go anywhere now!
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby tracylynn » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:02 pm

:shock: :cry: When I first read the news I thought someone must be playing a practical joke. Unfortunately, it was not a joke.

As disappointing as this is I think he did the right thing. For an athlete, it's important to have your heart in it and in Deisler's case it's not. When your body is letting you down then it's quite hard keeping the desire and enjoyment going no matter how hard you try. Deisler really tried but he's body wouldn't cooperate and that is so sad.

Even though his body and soul are no longer in the game, I truly believe that he showed how much he loved the game and Bayern by doing what he did. He did what he felt was right for him and for the team and that was not easy. IMO, Deisler showed that he is the ideal athlete and ideal man by doing what he did. I'll miss him so much but I respect him even more now.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby Schweini_rules » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:08 am

boys i gave up any hope for CL and Bundes..with folks like basturk and Haltintop..no1 is aiming for the CL when huge stars are included in that tournament..in bundes we couldnt even beat low rated teams with proper good players..now that most of them are leaving ..what are we gonna do..some1 said in this forum this is going to be Bayern's worst year..i hope he turns false.
FC BAYERN MUNCHEN

Hoeness
Schweini_rules
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Paddy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:30 pm

Playfuls.com, Romania 04:47 PM, January 17th 2007

Bayern Munich will not be panicked into buying on the transfer market following the decision by midfielder Sebastian Deisler to quit the game, general manager Uli Hoeness said Wednesday.

"There will be no rushed reaction," Hoeness said.

Squad planning will continue "calmly" until the summer "but sometimes the changes you are forced to make are not the worst ones," he said.

Deisler's decision Tuesday to end his playing career came the same day as Bosnian midfielder Hasan Salihamidzic confirmed he was leaving for Juventus at the end of the season.

Veteran midfielder Mehmet Scholl is also retiring at the end of the season while a question mark remains over the future at the club of England midfielder Owen Hargreaves who would like to move to Manchester United.

Bayern sold Germany captain Michael Ballack to Chelsea in the close season and have yet to find an adequate replacement.

"It is not the case that we are without worries. We have to start being careful with our squad," Hoeness admitted.

Bayern coach Felix Magath said he saw no need to act immediately to shore up the squad for the rest of the season.

"At the moment our squad is sufficient for our aims. I still have a few midfielders," he said.

However Bayern have made around 40 million euros (about 51 million dollars) available for new players as they seek to defend their Bundesliga title and face a tough Champions League challenge against Real Madrid.

Bayern are reported to be interested in signing the French attacking midfielder Franck Ribery from Olympique Marseille, and have also been linked with Chelsea's Dutch winger Arjen Robben.

Hoeness has so far refused to confirm the reports, saying merely at the side's recent training camp in Dubai the club was looking at one or two top players.

Club president Franz Beckenbauer meanwhile said the door remained open for Deisler to return to the club if he changed his mind about quitting football.

Beckenbauer, writing in his column for Bild newspaper Wednesday, said: "I haven't completely given up hope in Sebastian Deisler."

Bayern will retain the contract with the midfielder who is signed to the German champions until 2009.

"The door for Sebastian Deisler remains open," he said.

"Who can say that in half a year he won't be physically and mentally strong enough for a return?"

The 27-year-old German international had battled for years against a succession of serious knee injuries, and had also been admitted twice to a clinic to be treated for depression.

Beckenbauer said that like everyone else he had been surprised by the decision.

"It hurts, not only for Bayern but for everyone who loves football," he said.
Paddy
I post all the time

Return to Official FC Bayern News