You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Incredible find at the Säbener Strasse

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Incredible find at the Säbener Strasse

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:30 am

Construction continues apace at the Säbener Strasse as Bayern extend their headquarters and training facilities to match the club's growing needs. The work started at the end of 2006, and the new Service Center and training ground need to be finished by spring 2008, so everyone on the site is in a hurry.

But last week, work on the site had to be briefly halted when the construction crew stumbled upon an astonishing piece of sporting treasure, the significance of which was not immediately apparent. An old and battered pair of boots was unearthed during continuing excavation work on the site.

<b>Whose boots?</b>

"I was working with my digger and ran up against something. I thought it might be an unexploded bomb and I almost called the police. But it was these boots. These boots wanted to be found!" stunned digger operator Bodo Wagner explained. Finding a pair of boots at a training ground is hardly out of the ordinary, but questions still had to be answered. Whose are they, and why were they buried here?

After establishing the make, the size and the age of the boots, club partner adidas was swiftly able to whittle down the number of potential candidates. Further painstaking research showed that indeed, these were not just any old pair of boots. They were worn by club legend Georg "Katsche" Schwarzenbeck in the 1974 European Champions Cup final against Atletico Madrid.

<b>Lucky charm</b>

Schwarzenbeck, now 58, scored a dramatic equaliser in that unforgettable game to make it 1-1 seconds from the end of extra-time. Bayern won the replay 4-0, claiming European football's most glittering prize for the first time.

But how did the boots end up buried deep in the ground at the Säbener Strasse? <b>fcbayern.de</b> approached "Katsche" personally for an answer to the mystery. "Yes, these were the boots I wore when I scored the goal against Atletico in 1974. The fans wanted me to throw them the boots, but Franz [Beckenbauer], Gerd [Müller] and I thought they were a lucky charm. We hid them, but we lost them!" the Munich stalwart recalled.

<b>Highest bid from Madrid</b>

Katsche Schwarzenbeck is understandably thrilled at the fortunate find – so it's all the more surprising that the veteran defender has decided to auction off the famous footwear for charity via the <b>fcbayewrn.de</b> auction platform.

The highest bid currently stands at an impressive €12,455, allegedly submitted by Manuel Reina, the Atletico keeper back in 1974. But if you think the iconic piece of kit ought to remain in Munich, why not <a href="/en/news/news/2007/11385.php?fcb_sid=be32b9a9685e07385e18df8981a1134d" target="_top" class="content_link">join in the bidding</a>? But hurry! The auction ends at midnight tonight, Sunday 1 April.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News