You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

'I'm sure we're in for two terrific matches'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

'I'm sure we're in for two terrific matches'

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:15 pm

Bayern versus Barcelona rates as one of the most attractive fixtures in this term's Champions League quarter-finals. Despite a weekend defeat to Wolfsburg, the German champions are "not scared" of the Catalan giants, Martin Demichelis exclusively revealed to fcbayern.de, although the Argentine acknowledged Munich would "definitely show them the right level of respect."

The defender was suspended for the setback in Wolfsburg, but in the absence of Lucio and Daniel van Buyten, will now join forces at centre-half with talented youngster Breno. The pair will have their work cut out at Camp Nou, where Demichelis will come up against his international team-mate Lionel Messi. "It's almost impossible to shut him out completely if he's having a good day," Micho warned.

Interview: Martin Demichelis

fcbayern.de: Micho, how much are you looking forward to meeting Barcelona?
Martin Demichelis: "It's unbelievable to be honest, it'll be a fantastic game. All of us are desperate to play. I'm proud to be representing Bayern in this match, and we'll do everything we can to make the next round. I'm sure we're in for two terrific matches. We're really looking forward to meeting this excellent team."

fcbayern.de: After losing 5-1 in Wolfsburg, how will you approach a match against arguably the best team in Europe?
Demichelis: "We won't be scared, but we'll definitely show them the right level of respect, because Barcelona are a great team. But Bayern are also one of Europe's big names, as we've proved in the Champions League this season, so they'll respect us too."

fcbayern.de: What can Bayern hope to achieve?
Demichelis: "If we're on form, we'll see two very tight matches. It'll be very tough, and we'll have to see how the first leg turns out."

fcbayern.de: One or two key players are missing.
Demichelis: "Yes, Lucio, Daniel van Buyten and Miro Klose are seasoned campaigners with plenty of experience at the highest level. It doesn't make it any easier, but it means we'll have to pull even closer together and work even harder for each other, and I'm sure we'll come away with a decent result."

fcbayern.de: Messi, Henry and Eto'o are a potent attacking force. How will Martin Demichelis approach the task of defending against them?
Demichelis: "Playing against this kind of class is really motivating. These are truly great players, capable of deciding a match in an instant. It's a challenge, but I hope I'm on peak form and demonstrate I'm capable of matching their class too."

fcbayern.de: Can Lionel Messi be kept quiet for the whole match?
Demichelis: "It's very difficult, to be honest. It's almost impossible to shut him out completely if he's having a good day, and he can win a match on his own. You have to stick to him like glue and win your tackles. Let's hope he has a bad day and we have a good one."

fcbayern.de: Thanks for talking to us, and all the best in Barcelona!
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News