You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Hoeneß: We need more strength in depth

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Hoeneß: We need more strength in depth

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:50 am

The substitute benches at the Allianz Arena on Wednesday evening neatly symbolised the difference between Bayern and AC Milan. There was a spare place in the Munich dugout, but the Italian bench featured Serginho, Cafu and Kaladze, with no fewer than 234 European appearances between them.

"Milan can substitute superstars like-for-like. They have twenty players with fundamentally the same quality, but we don't," Mark van Bommel mused. "Milan have a better squad than Bayern Munich," Ottmar Hitzfeld conceded.

<b>Problem recognised</b>

The difference in class was visible on the field too, where the German champions struggled for creative spark. Compare and contrast to veteran Dutch midfielder Clarence Seedorf, whose two moments of inspiration settled the tie.

The issue is hardly fresh news in Bavaria. "It wasn't an eye-opening match. We already knew we'd have to invest," Karl-Heinz Rummenigge commented. Added fellow board director Uli Hoeneß: "We know we've fallen behind. We need more strength, and we'll try to become stronger." The general manager added a critical rider: "At least as far as we can."

<b>Financially outgunned</b>

Bayern are certainly at a disadvantage compared to the biggest names in European football. "You can't talk about fairness when Spanish and Italian clubs take six times more than us from their TV revenue pool," Rummenigge pointed out in a recent interview. Moreover, wealthy patrons have sidestepped normal footballing business practices by bankrolling heavy losses out of their private resources. "Milan make a huge operating loss every year, but we don't. We don't have a Berlusconi," Hoeneß reflected.

The financial discrepancy is at its most apparent in the transfer market. "Players go where the money is, which is only normal," Hitzfeld observed. Bayern are prepared to invest heavily in top players, but even that may not be enough to attract the right talent.

<b>Seeking the new Kaká</b>

To rub salt into the wound, the Bundesliga is not an especially attractive proposition right now. "The leagues in England, Spain and Italy are more appealing to players," Rummenigge told <b>fcbayern.de</b> last month. "It's obvious we'll never sign Kaká. We have to seek out an up and coming Kaká," Hitzfeld emphasised.

That is a potential solution to the conundrum, in that Bayern offer themselves as an incubator for exceptionally talented young players. Simultaneously, the club will continue to bring on its own youth products such as Philipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Lukas Podolski. "They'll be at the next level by next season," Oliver Kahn insisted.

<b>No transfer madness</b>

Whatever, Bayern will never abandon their principles of sound financial management. "We won't get involved in any madness," the general manager declared. "Bayern operate sensible financial policies, and would be well advised to continue along that path," Hitzfeld confirmed. Nevertheless, the German champions will step up their efforts to lure one or two big-name players to Bavaria this summer.

The squad will in any case be depleted by the departures of Mehmet Scholl, Ali Karimi and Hasan Salihamidzic, with the possibility that one or both of Claudio Pizarro and Roque Santa Cruz may also move on. Jan Schlaudraff, Jose Ernesto Sosa and Hamit Altintop are the confirmed new arrivals so far, but every team needs a spine provided by experienced individuals such as Mark van Bommel. "I don't know whether we need a star, but we do need great players," the Dutch midfielder chipped in on Thursday.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SNAKE » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:39 pm

Get Simao, Quaresma and Klose and Milan will die against us :D :lol: 8)

SNAKE
SNAKE
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:33 pm

With some realistic optimism, I think we can get Jansen (we need someone who can backup Lahm at LB and backup Schweini at LM... Jansen can do both), Diego (an attacking creative midfielder... the player we need most) and Toni (Santa Cruz/Pizarro are leaving, we need someone new).
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Romana » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:43 pm

MUTU wrote:With some realistic optimism, I think we can get Jansen (we need someone who can backup Lahm at LB and backup Schweini at LM... Jansen can do both), Diego (an attacking creative midfielder... the player we need most) and Toni (Santa Cruz/Pizarro are leaving, we need someone new).

who is jansen ?

is he playing in the totnham hotspurs ?
Romario & Thomas Brolin

Romana
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ZimbabweBob » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:12 pm

Toni would probably be really expensive, and in my opinion...would not provide enough bang for the buck

I wouldn't mind having him on the team, but I know that if we signed him, it means there would not be enough left over to sign a top class CAM which is more vital of a need right now
ZimbabweBob
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby tracylynn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:18 pm

Romana wrote:who is jansen ?

No, it's Marcell Jansen who plays for Bor. Monchengladbach and he's also on the German NT.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby Romana » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:24 pm

tracylynn wrote:
Romana wrote:who is jansen ?

No, it's Marcell Jansen who plays for Bor. Monchengladbach and he's also on the German NT.

aha :)
Romario & Thomas Brolin

Romana
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:26 pm

ZimbabweBob wrote:Toni would probably be really expensive, and in my opinion...would not provide enough bang for the buck

I wouldn't mind having him on the team, but I know that if we signed him, it means there would not be enough left over to sign a top class CAM which is more vital of a need right now

It depends. If Pizarro and Santa Cruz both leave, we'd only have Makaay and Podolski left in attack, even though Schlaudraff can also play in attack.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News