You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Hoeneß: 'This can't go on indefinitely'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Hoeneß: 'This can't go on indefinitely'

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:10 pm

Bayern general manager Uli Hoeneß is normally not at a loss for words when the media are present after matches, and last Saturday proved no exception. The Bundesliga champions beat struggling Hamburg 2-1, going a goal behind but still staving off defeat for the fifth time in their last six matches, to maintain a three-point gap between themselves and leaders Schalke 04.

"We were catastrophic in the first half," Hoeneß raged after the final whistle in front of a 57,000 sell-out crowd at the AOL Arena. Not for the first time this term, the Reds turned in a dismal display in the first 45 minutes away from home. "We were atrocious up to half-time," Hoeneß repeated.

<b>Gone missing</b>

Germany international Philipp Lahm offered no alternative analysis. "We went missing. We invested nothing, and you'll always be punished for that." The Bavarians were a goal down at the break to Rafael van der Vaart's 18th minute penalty and were left thankful that HSV "failed to capitalise on the lead," according to Hoeneß.

"Conceding the goal didn't spark us into life today. We needed the interval before getting back into the match," Felix Magath observed. The Reds came from behind to win for the third league fixture in a row courtesy of a significantly more authoritative display in the second half, and an outstanding contribution from half-time sub Sebastian Deisler, featuring superb assists for both Roy Makaay (57) and Claudio Pizarro (79).

<b>New-found energy</b>

"I don't understand why we looked so tired in the first half, but then played with boundless energy in the second," Hoeneß puzzled. "We appear to need the kick in the pants of going a goal behind before starting to compete. That costs loads of energy, and when you add in the burden of the Champions League, it can't go on over the long term." The 53-year-old announced his intention to hold a frank and honest discussion with the players on the subject.

"Voices were raised in the dressing room at half-time," revealed former HSV man Daniel van Buyten, noisily abused by the home fans every time he touched the ball. "We didn't show up for the first half, but we were more aggressive and applied more pressure after the break." Bayern's increasing assurance was matched by a correspondingly steep decline in their opponents' confidence and movement.

<b>Plenty of belief</b>

"We do believe in ourselves at the moment. The players know they can do it, provided they want it," Hoeneß remarked, delighted at another impressive comeback despite his unease over the first half performance. "It'll always work out if you score the goals at the right time. It all falls into place, and there can only be one outcome. That's exactly the opposite of the situation Hamburg find themselves in."

"We looked like a top team in the second half," Lahm smiled, a sentiment echoed by Magath: "We proved that we do belong up at the top." For all the delight at a third away win of the campaign, Van Buyten was unable to suppress feelings of nostalgia for his former club, so successful last term but in wretched form this season. "I enjoyed two great years here. In my heart, I'd have let them have the points today."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby podolski4life » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:24 pm

Hey, looks like Hoeness caught on with the general feeling right now. Now that the team is aware of their problem, they can work on fixing it.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:11 am

I get the feeling they've been reading the message boards lately. :D
tracylynn
I post all the time

Return to Official FC Bayern News