You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Hoeneß in no hurry to reshape squad

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Hoeneß in no hurry to reshape squad

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:15 pm

After a 48-hour period featuring the shock news of Sebastian Deisler's retirement from the game and confirmation that a clutch of players will definitely leave the club by the end of the season, Bayern's long-term squad rebuilding programme has suddenly taken on greater dimensions than expected. In addition to Deisler's decision to quit at the age of just 27, Mehmet Scholl is retiring, Hasan Salihamidzic moving to Juventus, and Ali Karimi seems set for a return to Al-Ahly in Dubai, a significant depletion of the German champions' midfield resources.

"It's not the case that we have no concerns," general manager Uli Hoeneß acknowledged on Wednesday. "We have big plans for the future, so we have to make sure we maintain a strong squad," Deisler, sidelined for much of the first half of the season after surgery to repair a lacerated cartilage in his right knee, had been expected to shoulder a large part of the creative midfield burden for the rest of the campaign.

<b>No immediate needs</b>

"Sebastian was clearly an option to add new impulse," Hoeneß reflected of the gifted player often hailed as one of the most talented players ever seen in Germany. "Obviously I was hoping to use Deisler from now on," coach Felix Magath agreed, "but that's life. You have to cope with the unexpected." Compounding the team selection situation, midfield reserve Julio dos Santos signed a six-month loan deal with Wolfsburg just before the festive season, before promptly breaking a fibula in the final training session of 2006.

"But I don't regard the situation as dramatic. We still have a few midfielders," the boss insisted. "We have no immediate need to bring anyone in before the end of the transfer window [on 31 January]. The squad is strong enough for our current targets." Hoeneß shares that opinion, even if Karimi opts for a return to the Persian Gulf this winter.

<b>Change opens doors</b>

"We definitely won't be making any snap decisions," Hoeneß declared, although the board director refused to rule out a possible swoop on the transfer market. "The possibility remains low," the manager continued, emphasising instead a steady rejuvenation programme without pressure and in no haste up until the break between seasons next summer.

"We have to continue the squad rebuilding project we began last summer," Hoeneß stated, portraying the changes and departures as "more of a major chance" than a disadvantage. "It will help our younger players take on more responsibility. Sometimes, enforced change isn't the worst thing that can happen."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fanOfBayern » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:12 pm

same old crap... :evil:
fanOfBayern
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Schweini_rules » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:54 am

the guys allready said what i think ..
we will do crap and then no big name would like to join Fc Bayern
FC BAYERN MUNCHEN

- "I had hoped until the end that this was just a nightmare, because Deisler is one of the best players Germany has ever had." -
Hoeness
Schweini_rules
I'm a chatterbox!

Return to Official FC Bayern News