You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Hoeneß: The Bayern vision is reality

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Hoeneß: The Bayern vision is reality

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:10 pm

On 5 January, FC Bayern president Uli Hoeneß celebrates his 60th birthday. fcbayern.de launches the countdown to the milestone event with part one of a major birthday interview, in which we asked Hoeneß to assess the situation at the club at the end of the year 2011. The ex-striker gave a typically forthright reply, marvelling at the difference between the present day and 1979, when he took over as general manager.

Birthday interview with Uli Hoeneß, part one:

fcbayern.de: Uli Hoeneß, the year 2011 is drawing to a close. Have you made any resolutions for the New Year?
Hoeneß: I always make resolutions. I want to lose five or ten kilos in weight... sometimes it works out. The best therapy for me would be freedom from stress. And if the team's playing well, there's a reasonable chance of that.

So it's really not too bad at the moment.
We've very rarely had a year in which we can be so satisfied on so many counts. The overall picture is one we could hardly imagine. It's not just that we're top of the league and well placed in the Champions League, it's the business situation too. The club is peaceful, there's no strife or infighting, and no major conflicts. If you look around the world, at Syria and Egypt, the political parties going at each other... my secret recipe for success is to achieve unity, and resolve all conflicts internally. It's the only solution. Your enemies are in the outside world, so you have to fight them and not attack yourself.

Is that the biggest difference compared to December 2010?
Yes. We're not losing energy due to friction within the club, we're using it all on external targets. Often enough, we've wasted time on unnecessary meetings, which costs too much energy.

With everything going so well, it'll surely end in a trophy or two next May.
Let's not forget there are plenty more very good teams as well. And our rivals in Germany - Dortmund, Schalke, Gladbach - have the advantage of no more European games. Okay, Schalke are still in the Europa League, but it's hardly the Champions League. And we want to go a long way in the Champions League. In that competition, Real are world-class this year, as are Barcelona in any case, and you still have a couple of English teams. And we must never underestimate the Italians.

And then there's Bayern. You're on record as saying how much you've enjoyed watching the team so far this season, due to long winning runs.
What I especially enjoyed were those four or five home games where we served up a celebration of football. In recent years, we've often been 1-0 up but then lost our way. We've perhaps scored a second with great difficulty, maybe eventually going on to win 2-1. This season, we've had matches like the ones against Hertha, Freiburg and Hamburg when it was all over after half an hour, or by half-time. You're in a completely different mood up in the stands in that situation. You can enjoy it for once, and drink a mulled wine or eat apple strudel at half-time.

What do you talk about up in the stands when you sit with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Karl Hopfner?
During the match, I say nothing at all (grins). I'm basically silent compared to Karl-Heinz! Karl-Heinz never stops talking. Karl Hopfner is the most serene of us all.

Do you miss sitting in the dugout?
It's a new era. Naturally, it was a more intense experience on the touchline with lots of adrenaline. You're even more helpless up in the stands, you're so high up you could be in heaven.

Has FC Bayern ascended to footballing heaven?
Looking around me now, a lot of things have become reality, exactly the way I imagine a football club should be. At the present time, we're pretty close to the ideal situation you would sketch our for a football club. But we have to be cautious. The minute you ease off too much, it becomes dangerous.

What state was the club in when you took over as manager?
When I started, Bayern Munich had turnover of 12 million DM, there were no structures, no big vision, no stadium to call our own, and only rudimentary training facilities. Back then, the Säbener Strasse wasn't the park it is now, with artificial turf and beautiful grass pitches which stay green in the winter. Nowadays, you could play golf here in December, but in the 70s, you didn't see a single blade of grass between November and May. And we got changed in a wooden shed supervised by [kit man] Granddad Remm, scrubbing away at our boots. So there was plenty of scope for conceiving and implementing a new vision.

What exactly was your vision?
My goal was always to transform Bayern Munich the football club into a thriving commercial enterprise, which was successful not only in sporting terms, but was built on solid financial foundations.

The vision is now reality, so how would you assess FC Bayern Munich today?
Ten or 15 years ago, a lot remained to be done. We had no stadium of our own, and if it hadn't been for the World Cup and Franz Beckenbauer, we probably still wouldn't have a stadium today. The Allianz Arena has given Bayern another decisive boost. Thinking back to the days of a Bundesliga match in the snow and ice at the Olympic Stadium, you wouldn't necessarily feel motivated to arrive a couple of hours before kick-off. Nowadays, the people stand in line waiting to get into the stadium, because they know they can watch a second division match on TV, enjoy a bratwurst, and meet up with friends. I never wanted football to be simply about turning up, watching the match and going home, I wanted it to bring people together and promote a sense of community. We've succeeded in this respect. Watching Bayern is a social event.

Coming up on January 1: part two of our major birthday interview with Uli Hoeneß.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Hoeneß: The Bayern vision is reality

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Respect =D> =D> =D>
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Fénix » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Uli is the best and the most successful general manager in entire football history. No one can compare with him. His life is FC Bayern München(with his family and bratwurst, of course :mrgreen: ).

I admire to our boss Hoeneß. =D> =D> =D> =D>
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby AvatarX » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:13 am

FCBayernNews wrote:I always make resolutions. I want to lose five or ten kilos in weight... sometimes it works out.

FCBayernNews wrote: it was all over after half an hour, or by half-time. You're in a completely different mood up in the stands in that situation. You can enjoy it for once, and drink a mulled wine or eat apple strudel at half-time.

I guess winning comfortably is not good for a strict diet :)
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby appudds » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Hoeness. He is bayern and Bayern is him.
appudds
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Return to Official FC Bayern News