You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Hitzfeld: 'The goal will be very important for Schweini&

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Hitzfeld: 'The goal will be very important for Schweini&

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:40 pm

Bastian Schweinsteiger made headlines even before Saturday's match in Hanover, after Uli Hoeneß voiced criticism of the Germany international via the Munich press. "He needs to wake up and realise the summer fairy tale is over," the Bayern general manager was quoted as saying.

The player could hardly have given a more convincing answer to the barb with a match-winning display in Hanover, firing an excellent goal to make the score 2-1 and earn his side three vital points in the battle for a Champions League place. He also contributed to the equaliser with a crucial aerial challenge, and then cleared a Zuraw header off the line.

<b>Backing from Hitzfeld</b>

"It's not about me, it's about the team. That's all that matters," the 22-year-old insisted after the final whistle. He was not upset at Hoeneß's comments, he insisted. "I know what the manager's like and where he's coming from. You just have to take it the right way," he pointed out, although Schweini must have been even more determined to do well after the reported comments.

"The goal will be very important for him," Ottmar Hitzfeld commented the following day. The coach had taken Bastian to one side and pledged faith in his ability, he revealed. "I'm basically happy with the way he's come on. I don't think he's been as bad as the press have made him out to be. He played well today."

<b>High expectations</b>

Hitzfeld was the man who originally promoted Schweinsteiger from the reserves to the senior squad during the General's first spell at the Munich helm. "People's expectations of him are simply too high. Schweinsteiger is a gifted midfielder. He's an artist, and he needs applause." The secret was to find the right balance between praise and criticism, the coach explained.

However, Hitzfeld was not prepared to spare Schweinsteiger from criticism entirely, calling for the man capped 43 times by Germany to fulfil his undoubted potential. "He's finally scored again today. That's what we want to see from him, getting into the right positions, trying to make chances for himself and not just laying them on, getting forward with plenty of determination."

<b>Hoeneß remains critical</b>

And what did Hoeneß have to say afterwards? "I won't stop judging him in a critical light, until he plays an entire season the way I'd like to see it. He's still a long way from that." The Hanover match has at least taken him closer to that target.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:32 pm

I like the quote about people's expectations of him were simply too high. I think that can also be applied to Lukas. People want so much without considering the factors that are around these young guys. I, for one, have faith that with Hitzfeld in charge that both Lukas and Bastian will improve.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News