You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Hitzfeld: ‘I’m blessed with broad shoulders’

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Hitzfeld: ‘I’m blessed with broad shoulders’

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:05 pm

After two-and-a-half years away from the job, Ottmar Hitzfeld returned to the Bayern helm some 90 days ago, although the General will undoubtedly have expected a more fruitful yield from the early months of his second spell in charge. The Bavarians have registered six wins, a draw and five defeats in their last 12 Bundesliga fixtures, and appear certain to miss their officially declared target of a place in next season’s Champions League, the 2001 winners’ first absence in 12 years.

Despite the unsatisfactory results, the 58-year-old insists he has not regretted for one moment the decision to swap the colour commentator’s microphone at Pay TV channel Premiere for a tracksuit and football boots. “When you accept a challenge, you do so with a variety of perspectives,” he commented. “I’ve been trying to help, and it remains an extremely interesting task.”

<b>Delighted to accept the job</b>

When Bayern officials made contact back in January, he had been “delighted to accept the job,” Hitzfeld remarked, flatly rejecting reporters’ suggestions he might opt to throw in the towel this summer despite a contract binding him to the club until June 2008. “You have to fulfil your commitments. I totally identify with Bayern Munich football club and with my team.”

The General admitted he had “never experienced a situation like this” in 23 years as a coach, but Hitzfeld is nothing if not resilient. With three games still to play this season, the experienced boss has already turned his attention to the new campaign, where he will supervise a process of renewal in the dressing room and seek to guide the club back to trophy glory.

<b>Deep reserves</b>

“I’m blessed with a broad pair of shoulders, and I’m also a fighter. I’m not a cherry-picker,” he declared, pointing out that his break from active participation in the game had allowed him to build up sufficient reserves of energy for the demanding full-time role at the club. “I’m refreshed and relaxed. I have a store of unused energy,” he reported.

Returning to the training ground had also brought an unexpected but welcome side-effect, the coach revealed. “I’ve lost two kilograms since coming back, and that hasn’t hurt me one bit,” he reported with a grin.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News