You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Heynckes weighing options at centre-back

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Heynckes weighing options at centre-back

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 pm

There are just two days left until the showdown Jupp Heynckes described as "a massive cup fight," Franz Beckenbauer said was "a night of football set to fulfil all expectations," and Arjen Robin called "a super special match." FCB host Borussia Dortmund in the DFB Cup quarter-finals, "and the whole of Germany is looking forward to it," declared Philipp Lahm. However, it was basically business as usual at the Säbener Strasse training facility on Monday, where Heynckes supervised his men in the first full day of preparations for the big match.

However, the group for training lacked a handful of key players: Franck Ribéry, who is suspended on Wednesday, and Lahm, Robben and Dante, who were given the day off. "A rest day will do them good, in my opinion," Heynckes explained to FCB.tv.

Arjen replaces Franck

The boss is already almost there in terms of his team selection, with Robben coming in for Ribéry. "There's no need to make a secret of it," Heynckes said, "provided he stays fit and trains as normal tomorrow, he'll obviously start on Wednesday." The head coach is only pondering his options for one position, the centre-back slot alongside Dante.

"We have two very good players and I still need to think about it," said the 67-year-old, who will coach a side in the cup for the 70th time when Dortmund visit on Wednesday. The first option is Daniel van Buyten. "This season, Daniel's played better for Bayern than he ever has before," Heynckes stated. The alternative is Jerome Boateng: "He played almost every game in the first half of the season, and he was excellent on Saturday after recovering from a cold."

A similar illness kept Van Buyten out of Saturday's squad against Bremen, but the Belgian has recovered and resumed the team training programme on Sunday. Javi Martinez was substituted as a precaution early in the second half against Werder due to a minor groin strain, but trained with the squad as normal on Monday. "It's all okay. I'm in perfect physical shape and can play," the Spaniard told fcbayern.de. The only man sidelined at the moment is Rafinha, who also has flu symptoms.

Dortmund at full strength

BVB will also field a full strength side at the Allianz Arena. Mats Hummels (hamstring), Jakub Blaszczykowski (bruised hip) and Lukasz Piszczek (hip) should all be fit by kick-off time, Dortmund boss Juergen Klopp said on Monday: "It looks as though we'll pick from a full squad."

Everything is set for a thrilling night of cup football, with Bayern confident of prevailing this time. "We have massive ambitions in the cup and we're totally motivated," said Heynckes, "we're at home, we're confident, and we're playing an unbelievably high standard of football. It all makes us optimistic."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Heynckes weighing options at centre-back

Postby AdepT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm

FCBayernNews wrote:and Arjen 'Robin'

:lol:
Now I get it. While under Batman's tutelage, once they were in a dire situation. Batman had no weapons left on him and Arjen 'Robin' had one 'Birdarang' left. batman asked for it for a sure kill attack but he didn't pass it(If you know what I mean! :wink: ) and missed his attempt by whisker. Batman got injured and retired, and then Arjen 'Robin' started on his solo mission. :D
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News