You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Heynckes: We take Basel very seriously

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Heynckes: We take Basel very seriously

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:20 pm

In the aftermath of Friday's draw for the Champions League first knockout round, the mood in the Bayern camp was one of relief at avoiding Italian champions AC Milan, arguably the toughest of the options open to the Bavarians. Instead, after eliminating FC Zürich in the preliminary round, Munich face Swiss opposition for the second time this term in a rerun of last season's group stage clash with FC Basel.

The Bundesliga side will be circumspect but confident of progressing at the expense of their Swiss adversaries. "Looking at the other potential opponents, Basel is the draw we wanted," confirmed Christian Nerlinger, although the director of sport also noted the "high quality" of the Swiss league leaders. Jupp Heynckes described the draw as "manageable", although Basel boast strong credentials "after making it through a tough group." Captain Philipp Lahm concisely summed up the situation: "They're dangerous, but we start as favourites."

Reaction to the Champions League last 16 draw:

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge: "If we concentrate and put some effort into it, we have a good chance of reaching the quarter-finals. But please, let's not underestimate the task. FC Bayern should respect any team which knocks out Man United. The Bavarian proverb speaks of a ready-mown meadow, but this meadow isn't mown yet. We have to do it ourselves. We have the minor but pleasant advantage of the return leg in Munich."

Karl Hopfner: "We know Basel well after playing them in our group last season. We've been warned, because we've seen what they did to Man United. But if we concentrate, it would normally work out for us."

Christian Nerlinger: "Looking at the other potential opponents, Basel is the draw we wanted, although they're the team which eliminated Manchester United, and that tells you all about their high quality. They're well balanced and a good unit, with talented youngsters like Shaquiri, and experienced former Bundesliga players such as Alexander Frei and Marco Streller. However, we obviously hope to make the next round. We'll take them very seriously. They have nothing to lose in the Champions League, and that makes them very dangerous. We're a long way off underestimating them."

Jupp Heynckes: "Basel is a manageable draw, but let's never forget they came through a tough group and knocked out Manchester United. They have talented young players, sufficient European experience, and an enthusiastic home crowd."

Philipp Lahm: "It's definitely a manageable draw and we go into the last 16 as favourites. But they're dangerous, as we saw twice against United, and it was a tight game when we went there last year. I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces: coach Heiko Vogel, and Marco Streller, who was my team-mate in Stuttgart."

Arjen Robben: "The spontaneous reaction is to be pleased with the draw, but careful: Manchester United know all about the danger posed by Basel. But we have enough confidence, and I hope we go through."

Franck Ribéry: "It's a shame we've not been drawn against a French team. Basel is okay, they've shown their ability against United. But we're determined to make the quarter-finals, and if we play at 100%, we'll get there."

Thomas Müller: "I'm looking forward to seeing Basel coach Heiko Vogel. I trained and played for him as an Under-15. I wish him every success, but only after we've played them."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Heynckes: We take Basel very seriously

Postby quaazi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:06 pm

And again everyone is babbling on about the same thing ("They beat United so we must take them seriously") while Müller is the only one with something interesting to say. Didn't realize Basel is that heavily imbued with ex-Bayern men.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Re: Heynckes: We take Basel very seriously

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:47 pm

quaazi wrote:And again everyone is babbling on about the same thing ("They beat United so we must take them seriously") while Müller is the only one with something interesting to say. Didn't realize Basel is that heavily imbued with ex-Bayern men.

Well, Basel is closer to Munich than many other Bundesliga teams, and it's a good club to kick-start their careers.

That said, the distance between the cities is a really lucky factor for us, because of the bundesliga games in the weekend.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News