You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Heynckes contemplates Gustavo solution

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Heynckes contemplates Gustavo solution

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:50 pm

The curse of injury has struck the left side of the Bayern defence. The men marked in for the full-back role on that flank, David Alaba and Diego Contento, are both sidelined at present. With just three weeks to go before the Bundesliga restart fixture, a solution is urgently required. Might FCB sign a new player? "That's not on the table," boss Jupp Heynckes said on Friday.

Instead, the coach has a number of options within the existing squad. For example, Philipp Lahm could revert to the left flank. It's a position he has often filled in his career, including a long spell last season. However, Heynckes is reluctant to consider the possibility. "I'm unwilling to switch Philipp back to the other side," he stated, "I have to take account of the big picture."

In concrete terms, the reality is that Lahm is the perfect foil on the right flank for superstar Arjen Robben. The Germany captain also fits better into Bayern's favoured tactical system when he appears on the right. "We need to play down the wings, delivering crosses and angled balls into the box," explained Heynckes, "we have top-class strikers who are excellent on the end of crosses, but we have to supply them from the wide areas." Lahm, a naturally right-footed player, is at his best from the right flank in this respect.

So who will appear at left-back? The current lead candidate appears to be Luiz Gustavo. A defensive midfielder by trade, he once helped out his previous club Hoffenheim at left-back in an emergency. And the Brazilian has taken up the position in Bayern's last three pre-season friendlies, most recently away to Kaiserslautern on Wednesday.

"And he didn't do badly at all, quite the opposite," commented Heynckes, praising Gustavo's strong contribution to the team's attacking play. "Gustavo at left-back can work. In my opinion, it's a question of acclimatisation and identifying with the position," ventured the coach.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Heynckes contemplates Gustavo solution

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:56 pm

I like the fact that he's considering Gustavo at LB, because imo it's the best solution unless we make a transfer. However, I don't like that he specifically mentioned the need for crosses. I feel like ever since Heynckes took over we haven't been getting the most of our wings. Crossing is good, because it's true that we have good strikers receiving the cross, but our wing play should include more than that. All our main 4 wing players are capable of scoring goals.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby quaazi » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:57 pm

BUT IT WORKED IN THE NINETIES!
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby Firefox1234 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Just get Adriano
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby BayernLove » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Err... No.
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:Just get Adriano

I wouldn't mind that, but I don't think it's necessary, especially with Weiser emerging as a possible option as winger backup.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Return to Official FC Bayern News