You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Heynckes announces Bundesliga farewell

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Heynckes announces Bundesliga farewell

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri May 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Former world-class striker Jupp Heynckes has an astonishing 1,009 Bundesliga matches under his belt in a near 50-year career as a player and coach, but even he has yet to experience the sensation of a shower in Bavarian Weissbier after a Bayern title triumph. He did lead FCB to championship glory in 1989 and 1990, but the trademark beer showers only came into fashion a decade or so later.

So Heynckes is set for a new experience on Saturday, when FCB take delivery of the championship shield following their last home fixture of the season against Augsburg. Or will the coach be spared? "I'll take it as it comes," said the 68-year-old on Friday, as the most senior boss in the league is clearly ambivalent about this particular method of celebration. "I'll think of something, during the match or at half-time," he said, in the context of how he might avoid a drenching.

Melancholy mood

Whatever actually happens, the clash with FCA will definitely be Heynckes' last at the Allianz Arena as Bayern coach - his final three matches in charge are in Mönchengladbach, London and Berlin. "Naturally, it'll be a nostalgic occasion," reflected Thursday's birthday boy, "I'll just enjoy the fantastic crowd, the atmosphere and the occasion."

The last Bundesliga match of term is the away meeting with Borussia Mönchengladbach, "and it's an arrangement straight out of a movie script," said Heynckes, whose playing and coaching careers both began with Borussia. "It'll all come full circle," he continued, confirming that his 1,011th game, against "the love of my life," would be his last in the German top flight.

Farewell to the Bundesliga

"The way things stand, it'll be my farewell to the Bundesliga," Heynckes confirmed. The 1974 World Cup winner has coached Mönchengladbach, Bayern, Eintracht Frankfurt, Schalke and Bayer Leverkusen, but the list will end there. "There are no further targets for me in the Bundesliga," the head coach stated, even more so now after Bayern's stunning 2012/13 campaign.

Heynckes declined to comment on speculation he might move abroad as a club or even national coach. At the time of the Champions League semi-final second leg in Barcelona, the Spanish media were alive with rumours of a return to the Iberian peninsular for 'Don Jupp', previously the boss at Athletic Bilbao (1992-94 and 2001-2003), CD Tenerife (1995-97) and Real Madrid (1997-98). Heynckes responded at the time in characteristic fashion: "It doesn't affect me at all. I've known for a long time what I'll be doing after 30 June."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Heynckes announces Bundesliga farewell

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat May 11, 2013 9:30 am

FCBayernNews wrote:The last Bundesliga match of term is the away meeting with Borussia Mönchengladbach, "and it's an arrangement straight out of a movie script," said Heynckes, whose playing and coaching careers both began with Borussia. "It'll all come full circle," he continued, confirming that his 1,011th game, against "the love of my life," would be his last in the German top flight.

I wonder if the clubs could put aside their differences and organise a special Bundesliga farewell for him. It will be beautiful.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Heynckes announces Bundesliga farewell

Postby MoFattal » Sat May 11, 2013 11:57 am

I can see that he'll end up in Spain next year.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News