You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Gomez: I want to score in every game

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Gomez: I want to score in every game

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Mario Gomez made an unfortunate start in Sunday's return to his former stomping ground. Five minutes into the meeting with Stuttgart, Arjen Robben supplied the perfect cut-back for the centre forward, who was stationed on the edge of the six-yard box in front of an empty net. "It was a 1,000 percent chance," the striker admitted afterwards, but the ball mysteriously passed through his legs and away to safety.

"It was very curious," Gomez mused. The striker was severely hassled by VfB defender William Kvist, "who was tugging away at me like mad," but Mario only had to apply a simple touch and Munich would have had the early lead. "I held him off, but suddenly the ball was past me. Basically, Arjen nutmegged me," said the 26-year-old with a look combining bemusement and wry humour.

Naturally enough, the former Stuttgart man received a certain amount of ribbing from his team-mates later on. Director of sport Christian Nerlinger kindly described it as "an unlucky situation" for Gomez, but Robben was sporting a broad grin: "I saw Mario and he just had to slot it home. I still don't know what he did, but something clearly went wrong."

Other players might never have recovered their composure and settled into the game after a miss like that, but Gomez reacted entirely differently. "It may sound a bit odd, but I wasn't particularly upset about it during the match. A thought flashed across my brain: this is where you learned to score, so you'll definitely finish with a goal or two," the deadly hitman revealed, "and it ended up working out well."

Seven goals in four matches

Stuttgart took the lead from the very next move, but just eight minutes after the inexplicable miss, Gomez levelled things up with a skilful near-post flick from Rafinha's cross. "It was a world-class finish," Nerlinger said admiringly. It was also Mario's 14th league goal of the season, but he preferred to hand credit to the Brazilian full-back: "I was really, really pleased when Rafa put in such a terrific cross. There's nothing better for a striker than a delivery into space like that."

Gomez again made no mistake for his second goal on 57 minutes, coolly converting Philipp Lahm's lay-off to wrap up the points for his team. Mario finished with a total of six shots at goal on Sunday, as many as the home side combined. In his last four appearances against his former club, the player now has seven goals and one assist. "It's always special for me here in Stuttgart," he said afterwards with a hint of understatement.

Still hungry

Gomez finished as leading scorer in the league last season and is top of the charts again now on 15 goals, but the hunger is still there. "No player was perfect at the age of 18, and the same goes for me. I'm always trying to improve, and I think that'll apply until I stop playing. That's my goal. I try and do the best I can for the team, and it's going very, very well at the moment."

"His strike rate is impressive. He can be very pleased with the first half of the season," remarked Nerlinger. The Germany forward now has 23 goals in all competitions. "I'm a striker and I want to score in every game. That's my job. I'm the front man in an outstanding team, and I'm there to score goals. It's going very well for now, but you also get days when it doesn't work out so well. I remain humble and just keep doing my job," he summarised. Sunday in Stuttgart being a case in point.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Gomez: I want to score in every game

Postby sch0ll7 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:32 am

Get in!!! :D
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Gomez: I want to score in every game

Postby MUTU » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:36 am

Of course he wants to score in every game. I'd be really shocked if any player wouldn't like to be able to score in every game. If any player (*cough* Klose *cough*) is able to score goals for Bayern but doesn't, then he should get the f##k out as soon as possible :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News