You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Goalscorer Olic 'happy but shattered'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Goalscorer Olic 'happy but shattered'

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Ivica Olic was never pencilled in to start against Maccabi Haifa. "Thirty minutes, maybe a half" was all Louis van Gaal felt the Croatian might manage, as the striker had been out of action for seven weeks until last Monday. But when Miroslav Klose was forced out of the squad with an elbow injury sustained in pre-match training, Olic stepped in - and ended the evening as the match-winner.

Sixty-two minutes had been played when the former Hamburg man showed a goal poacher's instinct for being in the right place at the right time. Haifa keeper Nir Davidovitch pushed aside a Mario Gomez shot, with Olic waiting to pounce on the loose ball. "That was great from Mario. I was there and just had to put it in," said the 30-year-old, overjoyed by his first goal in two months: "I'm thrilled, because it was my first start, I've scored, and we've won."

Apart from Gomez - "It's half a goal to him for that," Olic said - the Croatia man knew exactly who he had to thank after taking his total in a Bayern shirt to three since joining the club last summer. Ivica briefly acknowledged the delirious south terrace fans, before making a beeline for club chief medical officer Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt.

"We spoke at length during the half-time break, and the doc told the coach: Ivica can keep going. And I said: I'm feeling good, and I want to go out and score," the player revealed. "Mull said to me: you can have another 20 minutes, which is why I ran over to him and said thank-you."

Olic in fact covered fully 81 minutes against Haifa in only his second appearance since returning from the injury lay-off. "It wasn't a minor injury either," the striker remarked. Ivica ruptured a calf muscle while training with his national squad. "Seven weeks is a long time. I've only completed one squad training session, but I've managed almost a whole game."

The player confessed to an understandable physical reaction the following day. "I still have to recover the normal rhythm. Today, I'm shattered and my legs are heavy," he grinned after the customary warm-down session on the morning following a match. "I hope I have time to regenerate in the three days until we play Hannover, so I can give it 100 percent all over again."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News