You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

FCB vow continued good form in the New Year

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

FCB vow continued good form in the New Year

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:30 pm

At the Bayern Christmas party on Saturday night, the squad revelled in a perfect end to the first half of the campaign for as long as humanly possible. "The last bus left for Munich at quarter past four," revealed Uli Hoeneß on Sunday. The festive spirit was initiated by a rip-roaring 5-2 home win over Hertha BSC Berlin before the FCB party headed for the evening party in the picturesquely snowy surroundings of Tegernsee.

"It was a good performance from the team, and a nice way to round things off for the fans," said Christian Nerlinger "it's been an intense first half of the season with highs and lows". The director of sport declared himself "delighted we've ended on a high. We're very well-placed in all three competitions, and our fate is in our own hands. We can relax and enjoy the holidays now."

Louis van Gaal agreed it would be "a nice and peaceful Christmas. We've made great strides in the last few weeks." That period has seen Bayern earn six wins on the bounce, including four in the Bundesliga, an undefeated run now up to ten games, fourteen goals in the last three matches, and third spot in the Bundesliga, just two points off leaders Leverkusen. The gap was a worrying eight points back in the autumn.

"We always knew it would be patchy at the start. It's taken a while, but things are happening automatically now," said Nerlinger, "my compliments to the coach. There was a huge amount of pressure from outside, but Louis van Gaal stood tall." He was aided and abetted by the players: "We took a good long look at ourselves," reported Jörg Butt. "The key thing was that we refused to panic, especially when the pressure was at its greatest, and we've pulled ourselves together as a team."

Philipp Lahm feels the turning point was the 1-0 win over Maccabi Haifa and Juventus's defeat in the parallel fixture in Bordeaux in late November. "We realised nothing was lost yet. It was a boost for the team." FCB's form immediately picked up, and the club has been on a roll since the famous 4-1 triumph in Turin.

Room to improve

Saturday's entertaining win over Hertha BSC provided another highlight. Goalscorers Daniel van Buyten (16), Mario Gomez (31), Arjen Robben (33), Thomas Müller (60) and Ivica Olic (77) warmed the hearts of the 69,000 who braved the Arctic conditions at the Allianz Arena. "It's become clear that we're very hard to beat once we're a goal ahead. In that situation, we're always good enough to get another goal," reasoned Lahm.

Van Gaal praised his men for dominating Hertha throughout and taking their goals well. "I want to see that all the time," the coach said. The visitors' goals from Adrian Ramos (71) and Raffael (90) were not considered cause for concern on this occasion. "We were well in the lead and totally in control, so we relaxed a little, and you'll always get stupid goals against in that situation," said Butt, "I'm convinced that won't happen when we're only 1-0 up."

Ribéry set to return

Bayern have scored 15 in their last four league fixtures, not far short of half their 34 to date. "That's exactly what we were missing in the period when we were attracting so much criticism," said Butt, "we actually played very well at times back then, but we lacked a cutting edge in front of goal. It's better now."

No-one is resting on his laurels just yet. "There's definitely room to improve," commented Holger Badstuber. Munich have high hopes of Franck Ribéry's imminent return. "I think we'll probably do even better with Franck Ribéry on board," said Van Gaal, "and if we can improve on recent weeks, we have a very good chance of collecting something - a trophy, I mean."

Elusive top spot

Unfortunately, the season is now put on hold for a short time. "I'm annoyed about Christmas this year, because I see no reason why we wouldn't have carried on playing like this," mused Gomez. "But on the other hand, a break's always good to tank up on energy," offered Van Buyten.

Bayern will need plenty of reserves as they battle for glory in the Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB Cup. Van Buyten thinks it will be "a hard fight right to the end, but our recent results have told our rivals that we're back in business." However, first place in the standings continues to elude the Bavarians. "We can't let the winter break throw us out of our stride," insisted Gomez: "We're not yet in first place, and as long as we're not there, it's not good enough."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: FCB vow continued good form in the New Year

Postby Element » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:38 pm

[quote="FCBayernNews"]FCB vow continued good form in the New Year[/quote]
I want to hear that From LvG !!!!!
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News