You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

FCB forwards firing on all cylinders

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

FCB forwards firing on all cylinders

Postby FCBayernNews » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:00 pm

Following Bayern's 5-0 victory over FSV Mainz on Thursday, home midfielder Markus Feulner neatly pinpointed the key difference between his side and the champions. "It's Bayern's pure quality, they're ruthless in front of goal," the former Munich man argued. Mainz indeed failed to convert a string of decent chances before the interval, opening the way for the merciless visitors to run amok in the second half.

Four of the Bavarians' five goals were scored by strikers. Luca Toni and Miroslav Klose hit one apiece, while "super sub" Landon Donovan helped himself to a brace. The three strikers have scored nine of Bayern's 16 goals in the mid-season period, warming up nicely for Tuesday's crunch DFB Cup Round of 16 tie in Stuttgart.

"I'm motivated and looking forward to a good second half of the season," Toni said on Friday. The Italian struck a goal in both Kaiserslautern and Mainz, and is now keen to add to his Bundesliga haul of nine so far. "I've scored quite a lot of goals in recent years, and I hope I can keep it up. It would be great if I finished top of the scoring chart again," last season's leading scorer observed. "I'll do whatever I can to score important goals, goals that win matches."

Klose has also pulled on his scoring boots recently, scoring the winner against Al Jazira, before finding the target in Bamberg and Mainz. The Germany international is Bayern's leading scorer at the moment with 13 goals in all competitions. "I'm aiming to score a few more," the 30-year-old told FCB.tv. He too is keen to improve on his Bundesliga haul of six to date: "I've had enough chances, but I have to be more cold-blooded."

In terms of quantity, winter newcomer Donovan has every reason to be satisfied, as the USA star has four goals in five matches. "Goals are always important for a striker, but the time to be scoring is in the matches we have coming up next," said Donovan, aiming to showcase his skills and earn a long-term contract at the club. The man capped 105 times by the USA is currently on loan from LA Galaxy until mid-March.

"He's settled well. I'm certain he'll help us in the second half of the season," Toni declared. Bastian Schweinsteiger is equally persuaded by the 26-year-old. "It's crucial to have a man on the bench who's fired up, comes on and scores a goal or two. I hope his good form continues." Donovan's four goals have required just 236 playing minutes.

Donovan targets longer stay

"My dream is to make it here," commented Donovan, who turned down several offers from rival clubs. "The way he's risen to the challenge here is terrific. He could have gone somewhere else immediately," said coach Jürgen Klinsmann. "He's very dangerous in front of goal. Now we need to see how he gets on in important matches," observed general manager Uli Hoeneß.

Toni, Klose and Donovan are ready for the restart, and there is also Lukas Podolski to come. The Germany goal-getter is training again after weeks plagued with illness and injury, and is determined to give it his best shot before returning to FC Köln in the summer. "Until then, I'll be totally focused on Bayern," Poldi declared. The Bayern strikers are fired up and ready to go.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News