You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Ever-present, willing worker, leader of men

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Ever-present, willing worker, leader of men

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:30 pm

The first hint of spring has finally arrived in Munich, and if the new season of the year was to have a face, it would be that of Dante Bonfim Costa Santos. Sunny, relaxed and bearing a permanent smile, the Brazilian is the best antidote to the dark, wearisome mid-European winter. He is also one of the best defenders in the Bundesliga this term, much to the league leaders' benefit and delight.

Bayern have let in a miserly eight goals in 24 Bundesliga fixtures this season, keeping clean sheets on 17 occasions. The stats are even more impressive for FCB's games on the road, with only one goal against in 11 away games, and no goals conceded in 603 playing minutes on opponents' home fields, representing two more records in the German top flight's 50-year history. Centre-back Dante has made a huge contribution to the superb campaign so far.

The man who wears the number four is the only player to start all 24 league fixtures, and the only ever-present this season with the full 2,160 Bundesliga minutes to his name. Jupp Heynckes has frequently rotated his squad this term, but Dante is the only man unaffected - "and I'm very proud of that," he said, "I'm glad I've won the trust of the coach and the whole team."

Not merely a stopper

"He's come on brilliantly," commented Heynckes, "he's one of the main reasons we're letting in so few goals this season." An aerial powerhouse, Dante has won 67 percent of his challenges so far, the best score at the club. However, there is much more to the Brazilian's game than simple defending. In the passing stats, he is only just behind Bastian Schweinsteiger (1,610) with 1,606 and an extraordinary 91 percent completion rate, and is third in the ranking for touches of the ball on 1,816, behind only Philipp Lahm (2,067) and Schweinsteiger (1,887).

The 29-year-old Dante switched to FCB from Borussia Mönchengladbach last summer, "and he's proved a fantastic recruit, not just as a footballer, but for everything he is," said Matthias Sammer. In the shortest imaginable space of time, the Brazilian "has emerged as a true leader in the dressing room." Karl-Heinz Rummenigge described the player as "a major reinforcement."

Dreaming of 2014

That may also apply to the Brazil national team, as Dante finally made a late and long-awaited debut for the Seleçao in early February. Afterwards, national coach Felipe Scolari said he was "very satisfied" with the Munich man: "I believe the Brazil team has one more defender for the future."

Dante's dream of featuring at the 2014 World Cup on home soil could yet become reality, provided he maintains his outstanding form for his club. But why should that not be the case? "I've rarely worked with a player like Dante," enthused Heynckes, bowled over by the centre-back's willingness, commitment and character: "He's a player every coach would want."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Ever-present, willing worker, leader of men

Postby MUTU » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Almost 2 hours have passed, and MoFattal hasn't replied to this thread. How is it possible? :lol:
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MoFattal » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 pm

HEY! I just saw this post :D

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
Kovac OUT!!!
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby MUTU » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 pm

And today he was also nominated to play against Italy and Russia :)
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby sch0ll7 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:18 pm

Best buy in ages. Really cant believe how good he has been for us.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby Mac » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm

He's been an absolute steal. What was his transfer fee, €4.7 million?

It goes to show that it's not always about splashing out the most cash for players. 29 year old players aren't always the most desirable one's to target in the transfer market. The don't have the greatest resale value. In this case it was the perfect fit for us. He happens to be exactly what our back four has been crying out for.

After the past few seasons I'm struggling to come to grips with how solid we are at the back. It's a good issue to struggle with. :D

Signing of the season.
Mac
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby AdepT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Mac wrote:Signing of the season.

in the game of football for the year 2012-13. :D
Michu, next after him.
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby lau03143 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:33 pm

The real test will be next year when Badstuber comes back next season and Dante has to compete with him.

This season we've been ravaged with injury and suspension at the back, and Dante has been an ever present.

If Guardiola wants both Badstuber and Dante in defence, Dante may need to move to RCB, which he's not been familiar with, so if he drops form he might struggle.

That being said he's been absolutely OUTSTANDING for us this season, and I really want him to succeed next season too, he seems such a great guy!
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby MoFattal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:48 pm

I think his starting role is cemented (bar any injury, God forbid) for the foreseeable future.
Kovac OUT!!!
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Return to Official FC Bayern News