You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

'Dropping points is what bothers me the most'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

'Dropping points is what bothers me the most'

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:30 pm

At the age of just 27, FCB vice-captain Bastian Schweinsteiger is the longest-serving player at the club. The midfielder was promoted to the first team in 2002, and has already passed 350 competitive appearances in a red jersey. However, th man capped 90 time by Germany has missed nine matches this term after fracturing a collarbone, and has just 11 Bundesliga outings to his name. With the year fast drawing to a close, Schweinsteiger talked to fcbayern.de at length about he last 12 months. In the first part of our exclusive interviews, Schweinsteiger discussed his recovery from injury, a season without silverware in 2010/11, and the successful first half of the 2011/12 campaign, with the men from Munich handily placed in three competitions. "It's going very well, and we deserve to be top of the table," the player summarised.

fcbayern.de: Bastian, the first half of the season and the Christmas period are now over. How did you spend the holidays this year?
Bastian Schweinsteiger: I took off in search of the sun for my Christmas holiday. At the end of the day, I'm a sun seeker, as you can see from my skin colour (laughs). But seriously: I wanted to escape for a while, before coming back and getting stuck in at full power in the New Year. Fortunately, I did my Christmas shopping nice and early this year. Of course, I had plenty of time for that due to the injury.

So you didn't go skiing this time?
No. My parents are out on the piste almost every day in the winter, and my brother Tobi skis regularly too. But it was better for me to take it quietly for a few days.

Apropos taking it quietly: you missed nine games due to your fractured collarbone. How's the recovery going?
My shoulder feels good again. I didn't make a comeback against Köln and Bochum purely as a precaution. There was still a small risk of aggravating the injury, and the doctors take the responsibility in such cases. I understood the decision, although I was obviously a little disappointed, because I'd worked really hard for three full weeks. I'd been aiming for the match against Köln.

Fortunately, the team managed without you against Köln and Bochum...
I was very pleased about that. Our physiotherapist Fredi Binder said this: We frequently lost against Köln in recent years. You weren't in the team for once, and look what happened - we won (laughs).

An eventful year is drawing to a close. Unfortunately, it's been a year without a trophy. What do you think now about the end of last season?
We were all gutted at failing to win a trophy last term. But let's be honest: we didn't deserve one either, because we made too many errors. We didn't always play as a team, and that was the main reason for our problems. Fortunately, we managed to finish third after overcoming a pressure situation.

A new season means a fresh start, and FCB are top of the league, through to the last sixteen in the Champions League, and safely booked into the DFB Cup quarter-finals.
It's going very well. New players have come in and made us stronger, and they've settled in brilliantly. We have a very balanced squad, and we deserve to be top of the table, although we've still carelessly tossed away a point or two.

Which games do you particularly have in mind?
The goalless draw away to Hoffenheim, for example. We were tired after playing twice a week for quite a while, and the first half was very tough. But we still could have won, because we invested more effort than them. I had the feeling we could have done it, and I was angry afterwards because we dropped two points which could theoretically prove vital at the end. Here at Bayern, winning is all that counts, so dropping points is what bothers me the most.

It was still a very successful first half of the campaign, and Bayern will compete for three trophies in the New Year. Why is it going better than last season?
We came through pre-season without any major injuries, and there was no tournament beforehand. And we learned from the mistakes which got us into such a tricky situation at the end of the previous season. However, there have also been games this term in which we've failed to work together as a unit. That has to become perfect.

Jupp Heynckes took over as coach in the summer. What are his main attributes?
He always keeps his cool and a sense of perspective. He's also incredibly knowledgeable, and very good at putting himself in a player's shoes. He prefers a harmonious atmosphere, but there have been times when he's really laid into the team and pointed out our mistakes. That's very important. The all-round package which is Jupp Heynckes is very, very good. And he's unbelievably fit for his age. He was briefly with us two years ago, but you almost have the impression he's gotten younger (laughs).
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News