You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Determined Demichelis 'fully fit' at last

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Determined Demichelis 'fully fit' at last

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:40 pm

No Bundesliga coach really welcomes frequent breaks in the domestic programme for internationals, and Bayern boss Felix Magath is no exception. At this early stage of the season, and with Munich's opening Champions League fixture just a week away, the head coach would ideally be working with a full-strength squad, but instead he has taken charge of a rump group of some 10 first-teamers for more than a week.

One of the players still in Munich is Martin Demichelis, although the Argentine represents a rare exception in that the break has come at exactly the right time. "Micho" devastatingly failed to make his country's World Cup squad, and then had surgery on a troublesome hamstring in the summer, returning late to the pre-season programme. He was then halted in his tracks by another hamstring injury sustained in Bayern's friendly trip to Tokyo.

<b>Back to full fitness</b>

The Argentine enforcer was available for selection in late August when Bayern travelled to Bochum, but he has only now declared himself fully fit. "I've used the break to my advantage. I've worked hard, and I have no problems any more. I'm feeling in very good physical shape at the moment," Demichelis told <b>fcbayern.de</b>.

He will need to remain fit this term if he is to claim much playing time in the face of stiff competition at the club. Owen Hargreaves "had a fantastic World Cup, and he's in great shape," Demichelis commented, while Andreas Ottl "really made the most of pre-season." That equals three players vying for the midfield holding role in front of the defence.

<b>Giving it all, every day</b>

"Healthy competition is actually extremely good. It means we all have to give it everything every day and put ourselves forward to be picked. You can't afford to take a single training session easily," Demichelis defiantly declared, rating himself the "most defensive" of the three contenders.

On the occasions when Magath requires just that quality in his starting line-up, "I hope I'm in good enough form to justify his faith," the Argentine remarked, as he believes his role snuffing out danger and distributing possession in front of the back four depends largely on physical fitness: "The most important thing is to be 100 percent fit at all times."

<b>Back to international duty?</b>

Demichelis is hoping regular starts for Bayern and good displays in the Bundesliga and Champions League will earn him a return to the Argentina squad. "No doubt about it, my international career depends on how I do at club level," he acknowledged. He had not yet been in touch with new boss Alfio Basile, but that was in any case not his present concern. "My job is to deliver the goods here, which is my sole priority. If I can do that, the rest will follow."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby CR7 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:37 pm

hargreaves>demichelis i reckon
"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."
(RON ATKINSON)
CR7
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kevh26 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:10 pm

easily... I think he'll have to, Hargreaves and Van Bommell could get in each others way IMO
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:36 pm

Yep I think Hargreaves is more similar to Van Bommel than Demichelis.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby kevh26 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:44 am

especially recently, because of the two england games, the opposition was poor and he's been able to push up... you can tell he enjoys it, but it's probably not what we need
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Return to Official FC Bayern News