You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Delight at best-ever group stage campaign

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Delight at best-ever group stage campaign

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:30 am

Bayern have finished Champions League Group F in first place with 14 points from six matches, the 2001 winners' best-ever tally at this stage of the competition. "I think it's been an outstanding group stage. Four wins, two draws and no defeats is a sensational achievement," Uli Hoeneß declared after Wednesday's 3-2 victory in Lyon. Bayern led 3-0 at half-time, but despite the narrow margin of victory at the end, the FCB official was unstinting in his praise for the team.

Reaction to Lyon v Bayern

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge: "We're extremely pleased. We've finished in first place, which means we've hit our target, and it wasn't an easy group. The team deserve praise. They played terrific football in the first half. I think we deserved it, although Lyon fought back furiously in the second half."

Uli Hoeneß: "I think we can be very satisfied. Unfortunately, we failed to score a fourth just after half-time, which would have made it a relaxing evening. But we're still pleased, because I think we've had an outstanding group stage. Four wins, two draws and no defeats is a sensational achievement. If you're comfortably 3-0 in the lead and look like getting a fourth, I reckon your thoughts do drift to the next match in Stuttgart. We were a little careless, but I still want to praise the team."

Franz Beckenbauer: "It's obviously understandable to slow the game down at 3-0 up, but it proved a real encouragement to our opponents. However, four wins and two draws is outstanding at the group stage."

Jürgen Klinsmann: "We've deservedly finished top of a difficult group, so we're delighted and a little bit proud. The first half was tremendous. The way we played, with one and two touch football, getting into the box and turning chances into goals, was really first class. It was incredibly enjoyable. It was a fantastic first half, top quality football. In the second half, we shifted down a gear and Lyon hit their stride."

Philipp Lahm: "We can live with today's result, but not the way we played. We let them have far too many chances. We made excellent use of our own chances, but otherwise we made too many mistakes. The first half was OK but the second wasn't good at all. However, you have to say it's been a very good group stage, and we've finished first."

Michael Rensing: "The second half didn't go the way we planned it to. I think it was close to being a perfect first half and we were 3-0 up - that's basically unbelievable, no-one thought that would happen. But after they pulled one back we let ourselves be pushed too deep and allowed them far too many chances."

Bastian Schweinsteiger: "We're pleased and proud that we've won, as it turned into a very tough match. I believe this team can go a long way in the Champions League. We're improving all the time and we're winning our matches. It's a real advantage playing the first leg away from home in the next round."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News