You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Coach voices praise for 'impressive' Müller

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Coach voices praise for 'impressive' Müller

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Bayern boss Jupp Heynckes was handing out praise after Monday's supremely comfortable 3-0 DFB Cup victory over Eintracht Braunschweig. The coach was pleased with his team - "we were in commanding form, and it looked very good" - and with one of his players in particular, namely Thomas Müller, who walked off with the man-of-the-match plaudits after winning two penalties and scoring his side's third goal.

"He was agile and full of running. I was very impressed with his display," declared Heynckes. In the absence of injured duo Arjen Robben and Franck Ribéry, the Germany international caused the home side all kinds of problems on the right flank, and proved he is in sparkling form just a week ahead of the opening Bundesliga fixture against Borussia Mönchengladbach.

"That wasn't a bad performance at all. I'm just a little bit more at home on the right," said the leading scorer at the 2010 World Cup, implicitly thanking his coach for fielding him on his favoured flank. There was no special secret or mystery factor behind his excellent early-season form, the player insisted: "I've not changed anything about the way I train or what I eat," the 21-year-old said with a grin.

As early as the ninth minute, he accepted Toni Kroos' slide rule pass and thrust into the Braunschweig box, forcing defender Ken Reichel into the foul. Shortly before half-time, Mirko Boland committed an almost identical offence in practically the same position. Later on, with the game well into its closing stages, Müller applied the icing to the cake with his side's third, taking him up to eight goals in just 12 DFB Cup appearances.

All-round attacking ability

Müller was easily the best player on the night, and not just because of his efforts in and around the opposing penalty area. He combined exceptionally well with summer signing Rafinha, who "got forward at the right times and was very dangerous together with Müller," Heynckes observed. Müller also showed a real nose for the winger's game, delivering a commendable total of nine crosses from his side of the field.

"The boss picks me because he wants me to get involved in attacking moves. It worked out very well this evening," Thomas declared after the match. The young international's versatility, with the ability to play on either flank, in the hole behind the main striker, or as a centre forward, seems certain to earn him regular status under new boss Heynckes. Whatever, Borussia Mönchengladbach have been warned.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News