You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Coach: The smallest things make the difference

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Coach: The smallest things make the difference

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun May 23, 2010 12:30 am

The Bayern camp was disappointed at losing to Inter, but no-one was in the mood for recriminations after a season which still delivered so much. An eighth domestic double and a place in the Champions League final was more than all but the most optimistic fans expected, so the reaction to the defeat combined respect for Inter's efficiency, pride at this term's achievements, and determination to do just as well next season.

Reaction to Bayern v Inter

Louis van Gaal: "We weren't good enough to impose ourselves on the game today, and that's a shame. Against a team like Inter, and with our attacking orientation, you have to be on peak form. We weren't today, but we're only human. The game was exactly as I expected. We attacked, and Inter reacted. It's obviously easier to defend than attack. But despite that, Inter deserved to win. The timing of the goals was decisive, and my players have learned today that the smallest things make the difference. Müller had both corners to aim at after half-time. He's normally ruthless in front of goal. This time he wasn't, but Milito was. These are the small thing which settle it. Nevertheless, it's been a great season.

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge: "Inter were outstanding and deserved to win. Obviously, you're disappointed about losing the final when you've had such a fantastic season. I've been in the dressing room, and the players are naturally gutted. But all the same, we leave Madrid with our heads held high. Now we'll see if we can emulate what we did after 1999, and try and win the Champions League in the next two years."

Christian Nerlinger: "I think Inter Milan deserved to win today. They were more mature, their balance was better, and they took their chances ruthlessly. So their victory today was merited. I think we were a little cramped, I don't think we ever hit our peak over the full 90 minutes, we never managed the 100 percent you need to win a final like this. Making the final is a massive success in itself. We'll pick ourselves up and go for it again next season. Overall, it's been an outstanding season."

Uli Hoeneß: "Inter were that decisive little bit more clinical than us. They were ruthless with their chances. We couldn't put them under pressure like we wanted to. But Inter are obviously a great team, who knocked Barcelona out of the competition. You'll only beat them if everything goes right, and it didn't tonight. It's always going to be hard if you fall behind to Inter. It might have worked out if Thomas Müller had scored just after half-time. But it didn't go in, they scored a second, and it was hard after that. But as I said before the final, it was a terrific season, and we won't let that be ruined just because we've lost in a final. There's no reason for our heads to go down. The 2012 Champions League final is in Munich, so the players, the younger ones especially, have plenty of reasons to dream."

Mark van Bommel: "I have only one thing to say: It wasn't the best team, it was the most effective team who won."

Jörg Butt: "You have to hold up your hands and say Inter deserved to win. The main emotion right now is disappointment. Inter defended extremely well. We couldn't impose ourselves on the match and we never found a way through the Inter defence. They have great strikers too. Just getting to the final with this team is a magnificent performance."

Philipp Lahm: "We were too timid in the first half, we lacked courage. But it was the Champions League final, and you're not going to play that every year, and a number of our players are very young. We were much better in the second half. We never gave up hope, and we had a massive chance just after half-time. But we knew Inter were strong on the break, and they'll punish your mistakes every time."

Thomas Müller: "It's a massive disappointment. It would have been the crowning glory, we could have made it a golden season, but we've finished with a defeat. That takes some of the shine off the double. We can't be happy with our performance in the second half. The missed chance in the 46th minute was a bitter moment for me. It's another reason why I'm not feeling great just now."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News