You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bright future beckons for top-class Rensing

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Bright future beckons for top-class Rensing

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:40 pm

In an ironic twist of fate, Michael Rensing's name was drawn as one of the Bayern players for the obligatory UEFA doping control following a memorable Champions League evening in Milan. An unfortunate incident during the same procedure after the Round of 16 meeting with Real Madrid at the Allianz Arena had cost Oliver Kahn a ban and his place between the ticks in northern Italy, but number two keeper Rensing took the hour or so's delay on Tuesday evening with good humour.

The young reserve shone against the serial Italian champions, providing further evidence of why Bayern regard him as Kahn's natural successor. "I'm delighted for Michael, because he's completely fulfilled our expectations," admiring coach Ottmar Hitzfeld summarised. "He's kept his head in this hostile atmosphere, and that shows he's top class," no less a commentator than Franz Beckenbauer added.

<b>Brilliant reflexes</b>

Rensing pulled off two stunning reflex saves to prevent Ambrosini and Gilardino opening the scoring with point-blank headers, but the Bayern boss felt the youngster's performance over the 90 minutes was the real reason to offer praise. "He plays a team role. He collects a loose ball, throws it out at once, and adds pace to the game. That's the modern way, the keeper has to be able to play football," the General observed. Added chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge: "He was stability personified, and helped us come away with a good result."

"I'm happy I've earned praise for my performance, and that I had a chance to show I can be trusted in difficult matches," the player himself commented, not without a touch of understandable relief in his voice. "It's a meaningful test for his future career," captain on the night Willy Sagnol acknowledged beforehand.

<b>Rotation in goal on the cards</b>

Rensing passed the test with flying colours. "He's one for the future," Hitzfeld agreed, although his time will only truly come when Oliver Kahn finally hangs up his gloves, in all likelihood at the end of next season. "The situation at the club is clear enough, and that won't change as a result of a single match," Rensing conceded. Kahn will remain the number one with Rensing as his understudy, Hitzfeld confirmed. "The faith shown by the coaching staff and the players will boost Michael's confidence. It'll help him readjust to his reserve role," the coach continued.

"It was a real highlight. I'd like it to happen more often," Rensing commented, immediately receiving encouragement from his coach. "He'll get another chance again at some point, and maybe it'll be more frequent than before, but we'll have to see," Hitzfeld declared. Rensing will probably have to remain patient for a little while longer before achieving his greatest dream: "I want to be Bayern's number one keeper. That's what I've been waiting for up to now, and I'll keep waiting until it happens."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News