You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Boateng fired up for Hamburg reunion

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Boateng fired up for Hamburg reunion

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:10 pm

It is a good thing that Jerome Boateng now wears a Bayern shirt, because when he was still a Hamburger SV player, the northerners went through one of their most successful phases against the nation's biggest club. Of the six meetings between the sides over the three-year period (2007-2010), HSV won two, drew three, and lost only one. Hamburg visit the Allian Arena on Saturday, but Boateng is now at FCB, and is looking to beat his former team-mates.

"It's important we take all three points at home," Boateng said prior to a first reunion with his ex-club. Almost exactly four years ago, on 2 September 2007, he made his Bundesliga debut for Hamburg in a 1-1 draw with Bayern. He soon achieved regular status, and earned a maiden senior cap for Germany, before switching to Manchester City for the 2010/11 campaign. "It's very much a special game for me of course," the 22-year-old acknowledged, "I had a wonderful time in Hamburg and I have a lot to thank the club for. I'm looking forward to the match."

Jerome was close to a pre-season reunion with Hamburg in the LIGA total!-Cup just a few weeks ago, but the new centre-back had only just arrived in Munich and boss Jupp Heynckes opted to keep him in reserve. However, the defender is an integral part of the FCB team now, starting all four competitive fixtures so far, and finishing as Bayern's best tackler on the first two Bundesliga matchdays by winning 75 percent of his challenges.

"But there's still more to come," the player continued, hinting he has yet to regain peak fitness after surgery in the spring. "But I'm feeling good, and I'm enjoying my football in this team. I was injured for three or four months, so it's important for me to keep picking up match practice, and I'll soon be back to my best," continued the man capped 14 times by his country.

The Hamburg clash is the next opportunity for Jerome to recover his playing rhythm. Saturday's opponents have yet to win this term, "and it's hard to know what to make of HSV at the moment, but we certainly mustn't underestimate them," warned Boateng, who revealed he remains in touch with "a few contacts" in Hamburg, including winger Änis Ben-Hatira. However, old friendships will be put aside for the 90 minutes on Saturday, when Boateng will do what he can to usher in a successful phase for his new club in their long-running rivalry with the men from the north.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News