You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Boateng eyes triumph in his city of birth

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Boateng eyes triumph in his city of birth

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu May 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Jerome Boateng has come close before, when he and his Hamburg team-mates made the DFB Cup semi-final in 2009. However, opponents Bremen won 3-1 on penalties, and Jerome's dream of playing a final in his city of birth collapsed. But Berlin has not gone away, and now three years later, Boateng has finished on the winning side in a cup semi-final penalty shootout, for Bayern against Borussia Mönchengladbach. The defender has succeeded at the second attempt and is now going home to his friends and family for the DFB Cup final, his personal showdown on home soil.

"It's great and fantastic," said the player, who has hardly been able to stop smiling in recent days. Whenever the squad's packed programme allows, the 23-year-old jets to the German capital to spend time with his partner Sherin and the couple's twins, who were born in 2011. Now, Boateng plans to combine business with pleasure, so to speak, first going for cup glory with Bayern, and then celebrating with his family.

"They'll be at the stadium, as will my closest friends. I'd really have liked more tickets," said the son of a German mother and Ghanaian father. Jerome was born in West Berlin on 3 September 1988, taking his first steps as a footballer with Tennis Borussia Berlin, before switching to Hertha BSC at the age of 13. He made his Bundesliga debut in 2007.

At the end of that season, Jerome decided to leave home and joined Hamburg. After three seasons in the north, he tried his luck abroad and spent a year with Manchester City, but Bayern came calling and he was never going to say no. The Germany international is now a regular at centre back for the men in red.

Jerome: I'm hugely motivated

Boateng is likely to fill that role in Saturday's showdown with Borussia Dortmund. "It's a very special game," he confirmed, "playing in Berlin is a huge motivation for me because it's where I was born and brought up." The player has banished all thoughts of defeat from his mind. "We're all totally fired up for the first trophy we can win this season. I want to win the cup in my city of Berlin."

FCB have lost to BVB on the last four occasions the sides have met, but that has not dented Boateng's confidence. "Every streak comes to an end. Our defeats to them have always been tight. They've never beaten us easily," recalled the 23-year-old. Boateng is counting on the support of Bayern's travelling faithful - and the football fans of Berlin: "I'm very aware that Bayern enjoy a lot of sympathy in the city."

Munich actually did Hertha Berlin a huge favour last weekend by beating Köln, handing the men from the capital the lifeline of a relegation play-off. "The supporters from Berlin will respect that and cheer us on even more," Boateng said. That would also increase the chance of him not only playing, but also celebrating in the city of his birth.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Boateng eyes triumph in his city of birth

Postby quaazi » Thu May 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Hmh, I think that if we win this game, it'd be the first title Boateng's ever got!
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Return to Official FC Bayern News