You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Beckenbauer: Ottmar is back to his best

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Beckenbauer: Ottmar is back to his best

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:00 pm

With just a week to go until the Bundesliga restart, Franz Beckenbauer says he can hardly wait for the new campaign to get underway. "I'm really looking forward to the new season. It's obvious Bayern are the league's star attraction, but there are no guarantees of winning the title," the club President declared on Thursday in Munich.

However, the Kaiser issued a warning to the playing and coaching staff. "You can buy another five world-class forwards, but if the defenders leave too many gaps, it won't help in the slightest,“ the World Cup winning player and coach pointed out, calling for solid work at the back and advising against the over-promotion of star quality: "A single player on his own doesn't make the difference."

<b>Unity and desire</b>

Apart from the club's summer signing policy, another factor was destined to underpin a successful season in Bavaria, Lothar Matthäus believes, as the dressing room appeared as united as it had 15 or 20 years ago. "Just as now, we often went out together to the beer garden after training," the former Bayern great remarked. "You end up going the extra mile in the match situation."

Beckenbauer is also convinced that Ottmar Hitzfeld will commit himself to the club for a longer period than currently planned. "I could imagine him agreeing an extension if everything works out," the 61-year-old argued. "I have the feeling Ottmar's back to his best. He's burning with the old fire. He was looking for a challenge, and that's what he's got with this new team. He's like a young lad again.“ Hitzfeld's current deal expires at the end of the season.

<b>Made own bed</b>

Beckenbauer sees only one small cloud on the Bayern horizon this term. "I'm just sorry this attractive team isn't appearing in the Champions League,“ the FCB President commented. "But OK, it's the path we've chosen for ourselves."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News