You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bayern without Kahn for up to five weeks

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Bayern without Kahn for up to five weeks

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Bayern will have to get by without captain Oliver Kahn for several weeks. Head coach Ottmar Hitzfeld revealed on Monday that the 38-year-old would have to undergo an operation on his injured right elbow. “He will be out for four or five weeks,” Hitzfeld said. The first match Kahn will miss is Thursday’s UEFA Cup return leg against Belenenses in Lisbon, where Michael Rensing will again be in goal.

The operation, which will remove loose connective tissue from Kahn’s elbow, will be carried out “as soon as possible,” according to Hitzfeld. Kahn has already been suffering from discomfort with his elbow for several months, and the injury forced him to withdraw art short notice from Saturday’s match in Leverkusen.

<B>Mixed feelings</B>

Hitzfeld was still on the training pitch on Monday morning when he took the call advising him of his captain’s absence, and spoke with Rensing straightaway. The youngster had already stepped in for Kahn in Leverkusen and “did a splendid job”, as Franck Ribéry attested.

Kahn’s designated successor is contemplating the coming weeks with mixed feelings. “On one hand I wish Olli all the best and a quick recovery, but on the other I will benefit from his injury because I will be in the team for several matches in a row,” Rensing said.

<B>“My time will come”</B>

Up to Kahn’s expected return at the beginning of November, the 23-year-old can now look forward to demonstrating his credentials in at least six games in a row. “That will be good for me,” said Rensing, who since the beginning of this season has exceeded the age limit for appearing in Bayern’s regional league side. He has now played 20 competitive matches in the professional ranks – 14 times in the Bundesliga, twice in the Champions’ League and four times in the DFB Cup.

However, Rensing says he is not looking to remain in the team once Kahn has recovered. “Once Olli is fit, he will be back in goal,” he said. “He has earned the right to play the season through to the end.” The young goalkeeper has no desire to stake a claim to the no. 1 spot at Bayern before July 1 next year, saying: “My time here will come.”

<B>Rensing gets a taste of next season</B>

For Rensing, the coming weeks will at least provide a taste of what he can expect in the coming year. “It’s definitely positive for me to gain experience with next season in mind,” he said. “I am glad that I can now play in several games in a row. I have always wanted to do that with Bayern.”

<i>Report for <b>fcbayern.de</B> by Nikolaus Heindl</i>
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News