You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bayern target winning start against Spartak

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Bayern target winning start against Spartak

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:00 pm

Bayern will feel at least a touch of pride as they embark on a tenth successive Champions League campaign this week, but the 2001 winners have rarely been in less bullish mood ahead of Europe's premier club competition. The talk at the club this season has less to do with the chances of winning the trophy, and more with simply surviving the group stage.

"We have to approach the Champions League with a degree of humility. We're no longer among the favourites. Bayern could only win the Champions League if everything was to go 1,000 percent right," chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge declared on the eve of Tuesday evening's opener at the Allianz Arena against Spartak Moscow.

<b>Van Bommel set for home debut</b>

"It's legitimate to expect us to make it to the knockout stage," coach Felix Magath acknowledged. For this to become reality, the Reds urgently require a victory at home to Spartak. "We're expecting a tough match, but we need all three points, because it's followed by two away games," Mark van Bommel remarked ahead of his home debut. "I'm really looking forward to it."

Inter Milan and Sporting Lisbon round off the Group B line-up. "You can't afford to drop points at home in the Champions League," confirmed Roy Makaay, fired up ahead of the first European clash of term. "It's what we work towards all year round," the Netherlands goal-getter declared.

<b>Podolski to make first start</b>

The Reds were forced to roll up their sleeves and graft for their narrow Cup victory over St Pauli on Saturday, but Magath urged his men to improve the quality of their football against the East Europeans. "We'll be looking to attack and score as quickly as possible," he revealed. Lukas Podolski, with six goals to his name from his last three matches, is set for a first start at his new club. "Lukas is in good shape and hitting the target," Magath observed.

The youngster is likely to be joined up front by Makaay, despite the fact Magath has twice substituted the Dutch ace recently and criticised his lacklustre display on Saturday. However, the 31-year-old has a fine tally of 27 goals in 53 Champions League appearances. "I believe I'll be in the team," the player insisted, a point of view echoed by fellow-countryman van Bommel: "We don't have to worry about Roy, he's a superb professional."

<b>Excellent record against Spartak</b>

Spartak have been welcome opponents for Germany's leading club in the past: of six Champions League meetings, the Reds have won four and drawn the other two. In order to maintain that series, Magath called for "a top-class display. It would be much better to travel to Milan and Lisbon on the back of a win." Indeed, the modest target of a place in the knockout round would already assume tough proportions in any other circumstances.

<b>Probable line-ups:</b>

<b>Bayern Munich:</b> Kahn - Sagnol, Lucio, Van Buyten, Lahm - Salihamidzic, Van Bommel, Hargreaves, Schweinsteiger - Makaay, Podolski

<b>Also in matchday squad:</b> Rensing, Scholl, Santa Cruz, Demichelis, Pizarro, Ottl, Karimi

<b>Spartak Moscow:</b> Kovalevski - Jiranek, Geder, Stranzl, Rodriguez - Bystrov, Kovac, Titov, Mozart, Kovaltchuk – Pavlyutchenko

<b>Referee:</b> Alberto Undiano Mallenco (Spain)
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:37 pm

"I believe I'll be in the team," the player insisted

I say he'll start on the bench, because Magath has a big liking for Santa Cruz.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Mirage » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:17 pm

MUTU wrote:
I say he'll start on the bench, because Magath has a big liking for Santa Cruz.

Whyyyy though?! Argh. I'm not saying I hate the guy or anything, he looks nice, he has good hair, but STILL I think Makaay's a better chance of scoring than him. Did Santa Cruz score many goals last season?

I am SO happy that Podolski is starting. It's about time.
Mirage
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby kevh26 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:28 pm

the team put forward there is definetly our strongest in my opinion, should win it comfortably
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:25 pm

I'd play Demichelis as defensive midfielder and play Hargreaves as RM instead of Salihamidzic... and then have Schweini on the left.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby BMike86 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:45 pm

MUTU wrote:I'd play Demichelis as defensive midfielder and play Hargreaves as RM instead of Salihamidzic... and then have Schweini on the left.

same here, Brazzo's energy can be used off the bench, he is still important to the club but he has been getting up there in age and can't last as long as he used to.
BMike86
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby MUTU » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:58 pm

Mirage wrote:Did Santa Cruz score many goals last season?

Check out http://www.fussballdaten.de/spieler/santacruzroque/. In 13 Bundesliga matches, he scored 4 goals. The previous season he played just 4 Bundesliga matches and scored no goals, and in the 2003/2004 season he only managed to score 5 goals from 29 matches. A really poor record, especially when you compare him to our great old Gerd Mueller who had a few seasons in which he scored more than 1 goal per game as an average.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Return to Official FC Bayern News