You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bayern's Dutch trio seek to lift World Cup

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Bayern's Dutch trio seek to lift World Cup

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Bayern already boast 16 winners. From A for Augenthaler to T for Thon. Fourteen Germans, one Brazilian and a Frenchman. All of them were World Cup winners while they were on Bayern's books. The first Dutchmen could join them on Sunday. Mark van Bommel, Arjen Robben and Edson Braafheid face Spain in the 2010 World Cup Final in Johannesburg. "It's our turn for the trophy," declared FCB skipper Van Bommel, convinced that there will soon be 19 World Cup winners in the Bayern annals.

The Dutch national side's confidence is well founded The Oranjes have gone 23 games without defeat and are the only side at the World Cup to have won all their matches. And now it is finally time for the World Cup dream to come true. "I was on the losing side in a big final recently. I'm not going to let that happen again," reported Arjen Robben, recalling the defeat to Inter Milan in the Champions League Final seven weeks ago.

'One more win'

Holland have appeared in the World Cup Final twice before. They lost 2-1 to Germany in 1974 and 3-1 to Argentina in 1978. But all good things come in drie in Holland. "Our aim was to get to the World Cup Final again for the first time in 32 years. We've all worked hard for it," explained Robben, "and we're going to do all we can to win the match."

"One more game, one more win," is coach Bert van Marwijk's battle cry for the Final. Van Bommel's father-in-law is considered the chief author of his team's success. First, he succeeded in building a team. As Robben said: "Our big strength is that we're a unit." And secondly, he has managed to strike a balance between individualists and grafters.

Van Bommel's last chance

Van Bommel symbolises the team ethic, and Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf duly described him as the "engine of the Oranje." Van Bommel directs, Van Bommel gets stuck in, Van Bommel sets up attacks. "This is my last World Cup, my last chance. I don't want to let a chance like this slip through my fingers," said the 33-year-old with the World Cup firmly in his sights.

The prospect of holding the World Cup aloft on Sunday may well depend on Wesley Sneijder and Robben taking centre-stage, as they are two world-class players who can win games on their own. The duo have provided the highlights in the otherwise surprisingly cautious Dutch approach in South Africa. Both players have been nominated for the Golden Ball awarded to the best player of the tournament.

'The result is everything'

"We always used to hear that we played well, but that didn't get us anywhere," stated Robben. Speaking to FIFA.com, he drew on the lessons of the World Cup Final defeats in 1974 and 1978: "If you want to win the World Cup, it's not always essential to play the beautiful game. The result is everything." 16 Bayern World Cup winners will back him up.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News