You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bayern profit from deluge of headed goals

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Bayern profit from deluge of headed goals

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:30 pm

"Keep it low, win high" is an old proverb frequently quoted by football coaches in Germany. Bayern have chosen an alternative strategy of late. Four of the five goals against Hannover were headers from crosses or set plays. In the 2-1 defeat to Berlin, Miroslav Klose nodded in Bayern's solitary goal. And in the loss to Cologne by the same score, Daniel van Buyten was the man to use his head for FCB's goal.

The statisticians say Bayern have delivered 665 crosses in the league this season, more than any other Bundesliga side, but the way the goals have fallen in recent matches is still remarkable. Six of the champions' last seven league goals came from headers. The 4-2 DFB Cup defeat to Leverkusen also included two headed goals by the men from Munich, and three strikes in the 5-0 win away to Lisbon came from crosses. To underline the point, Bayern only netted four headers in the entire first half of the Bundesliga campaign..

The coach and players say the new trend is no accident. "We need more movement at set pieces. We mustn't just stand around in the penalty area. We've talked to the players about it and practiced it in training," Jürgen Klinsmann reported after the victory over Hannover. The coach felt his side had been under-exploiting their openings from dead-ball situations, "and I hope Hannover was a sign we'll make more of set plays from now on."

The stars are keen to do exactly that in Bochum on Saturday. "If the ball's struck really well and makes it over the first defender, we have a number of superb headers of the ball," continued Klinsmann, naming Miroslav Klose and Daniel van Buyten as examples, "they really attack the ball from the back of the box." Lucio and Martin Demichelis also like to get forward for free-kicks and corners, and even Lukas Podolski claimed a rare headed goal in the Hannover rout.

Towering centre-forward Luca Toni is still missing against the side lying 14th in the table, but the Bavarians will attempt to exploit their new-found aerial prowess once again, especially as only Hannover, Cottbus and Leverkusen have conceded more headed goals than Bochum this term. Moreover, VfL are without no fewer than three centre-backs in the shape of Marcel Maltritz, Anthar Yahia (both ligament damage) and Mergim Mavraj (suspension). Seasoned midfielder Christoph Dabrowski, who has scored three of his six goals this season with his head, is also doubtful with bruising.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Bayern profit from deluge of headed goals

Postby slyk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:25 am

Is it just me or doesn't this form of attack make Bayern more vulnerable to counterattacks? This one weakness of Bayern that English teams in CL will surely exploit.
slyk
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Bayern profit from deluge of headed goals

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Well I would hope that Klinsi knows that you have to change your game according to who you are playing and Bundesliga and even more so when playing teams in CL. We have to seal up our weaknesses and exploit theirs. I am sure he knows that, or hope he does!
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News